Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I'm Janet and I have a printhead carriage jam. The ink cartr

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Janet and I have a printhead carriage jam. The ink cartridges are stuck on the left side and cannot be moved. I do not know how to lift the printhead latch - or even where that latch is! Please help! Thank you. This problem followed a paper jam. the printer worked rather crazily, and them stopped and gave that error message. I can remove paper jams, install cartridges - not completely ignorant! Have not had to go beyond that until now. THAT'S IT! What details are needed?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
This message indicates a carriage fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).
What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.
Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release
Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.