John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Brother 7440n. Have changed toner and drum but there are still

Customer Question

Brother 7440n. Have changed toner and drum but there are still smudges. Have also tried to clean drum per instructions but to no avail. Also, I tried to reset the drum counter by opening door and pressing clear / back. It says accepted but the message that the toner will die soon keeps on reappearing
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. The toner dying soon error will not go away with a drum reset. Are you using genuine Brother toner and drums?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
How old is the machine? Are the smudges on both copies and prints?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are smudges in both printing and copying. There is a solid line running both edges of the paper in both printing and copying as well

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Is the lin in the same place everytime? That usually indicates a problem with the imaging unit which can also cause smudges. However the imaging unit on this machine is the drum, so it is possible the new drum is defective. Can you test the old one with the new toner?
.