Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Alarm flshing "wrong cartridge", will not stop, even after

Customer Question

Alarm flshing "wrong cartridge", will not stop, even after checking them, turning off power to restart printer. What's the problem?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you
Please let me know if you get any error code as well along with the wrong cartridge message
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
please follow the below steps
remove the cartridge...turn off the unit....unplug the power cable...manually slide the carriage assembly\ printhead back and forth
clean the golden contacts of the cartridges and the printhead with a cotton swab dipped in little alcohol
once these steps have been done turn on unit and reinsert cartridges and check
let me know if error repeats or goes off
i will suggest further accordingly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't tell me which cartridge it is. Should I remove all of them?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
yes..remove all of them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all done, removed all of them etc, turned on, still a not fixed. It doesn't tell me which cartridge it is!
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
ok...when you remove all cartridges and turn on it should give a message saying that the cartridge is missing
then insert one cartridge at a time and check upon inserting which one does the message change from missing cartridge to wrong cartridge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No good says cartridge jammed with them all out. Put them back same message , close printer old message ! Have to go now problem not solved! Cost me &54?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
if the error is getting repeated then it indicates a possible fault with the printhead
please remove the cartridges and printhead
turn off unit
wait for 2 minutes
turn on unit and reinsert ink cartridges and printhead
if still the error message continues, then the printhead seems to be faulty as its unable to detect the cartridegs correctly and would need to be replaced
if the unit is within warranty cover, you may get it replaced through canon itself
else if out of warranty you can buy it from any local printer store or may buy it online and depending on the cost you may decide whether you would like to get this one repaired or opt in for a new unit
i am listing one link below for printhead parts
you may type it in the address bar of your browser
http://tinyurl.com/ooqc2pd
i hope you understand that in case of hardware faults i can suggest cleaning and reset steps but cannot make a bad part work again
Let me know if you have any questions
please click on a smiley face below or stars above to complete the rating if your question has been answered
Thanks for choosing Just answer