Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Use printer every day went away 2 wks cannot turn on workf

Customer Question

use printer every day went away 2 wks cannot turn on workforce30
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Are there any signs of life from the printer at all? Any solid or flashing power/status lights, clicking sounds, etc?Are other devices on the same outlet working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
clicking yes
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
But no lights on top?
If you lift the lid, or look in from the front, is there any movement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no lights or movement
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you for confirming.Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, most likely a faulty power supply or logic/control board, though power supply is most likely. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2008 model printer, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, as it is well past its 3 year designed service life. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the epson2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the power supply, which costs about $125; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the bad news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will try
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** know the results, or if you need any more help. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even if the news was not. Note that this step is required; as it is the only way I get credit for my time (from your existing deposit, no extra charge). I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/ Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan