Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

ON the printer window it shows Unable to scanAFI put in

Customer Question

ON the printer window it shows Unable to scanAF
I put in new ink.Unplugged all cords then plugged them in again but still doesn`t work. It will not copy.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Though you have not stated it, I would guess that you have a Brother printer.
Unable to Scan AF
or
Scan Unable AF
both signify, as error messages, that the document feeder (or, Automatic Feeder) on top of the printer, is sensed as not in operating order. It has nothing to do with ink, I'm sorry to say (and so the old ink you took out could perhaps be re-used sometime, if you save it away in the packaging from the new ink.)
Examine the document feeder. See whether paper is jammed in it. Or any cables might be loose or detached, or cut through, pinched, etc.
Does the document feeder make a noise at any time? turning rollers sounds, or grinding noises, or a reaction to having paper put in it (e.g. taking up the paper by a half-inch or so, into the document feeder) ?
Your printer ultimately, I'm sorry to say, may require professional repair for a problem of this exact sort.
But there's no hard, if all else fails, doing a hard reset before calling for repair-servicing:
- while the printer is On, unplug it from the power, sharply and suddenly.
- leave it that way for 10 or 20 or 30 minutes, unplugged.
- plug it in to the power again. Turn it On, if necessary. See whether the error has gone away.