Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have a Samsung Xpress C460W and it will not take card stock.

Customer Question

I have a Samsung Xpress C460W and it will not take card stock. What do I do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
It's a surprise to me that you say that printer cannot take card stock.
The specifications for your model, at
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/print-solutions/print-solutions/colour-multifunction-printer/SL-C460W/SEE
say that among the types of paper the printer can use, there is
'CardStock / Thick / Cotton / Colored / Glossy'.
Try (according to those specifications) loading the card stock in the Cassette tray.
And, use the 'Custom' size option, when choosing settings for the print job, in Printing Preferences or Page Setup (if using a Windows computer.) Custom settings allow you to specify the size.
And lastly, a subtle point: when setting the custom-specified size to such-and-such inches by so-and-so inches, keep in mind that if you put the card stock in the printer cross-ways to those dimensions, it may jam, or signal some other problem... if you put the long way the wrong way, compared to how you specified the settings.
Also... I just thought of this... try putting only 10 sheets of card stock in at one time. Jams can sometimes be caused by too much blank stock loaded in the paper tray.
(Where does the card stock jam? do you have it placed so that it enters the printer the narrow way first, or the broad side first?)
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.
is it a c460w or a c460FW
the FW says it takes card stock.
but it probably has to be fed through the manual input tray
i havent looked at the manual yet but some printers also have a choice of output slots
one of them flips back up to the top of the printer and that will jam
but there would be a manual switch on the side of the printer that will let the paper fall out the back instead. That gives it a much straighter paper path and it should not jam.
if you cant find it let me know and i will look at the manual to see if i can find whether it has one or not. Samsung instructions and support leave a lot to be desired.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
it will only do cardstock up to 43 lbs
it will do 110 gsm but if you are using the old lb specs it probably wont do 110 lb
for anything over 43lb it says you have to
A. use manual feed
B. use only one page at a time
and probably pray. Its just not designed for anything that thick. the paper path is too curvy.