Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

My printer an epson workforce 545 seems to be working but not

Customer Question

My printer an epson workforce 545 seems to be working but not printing. It just sends out black paper. I have just changed the inks.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Do you mean blank?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the paper is coming out with nothing printed on it
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok please make a photo copy from the glass so the computer is not used at all and let me know what comes out.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Mac computer, if that matters
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
please make a photo copy from the glass so the computer is not used at all and let me know what comes out.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now I have a peice of paper that's gray. I'm thinking I might have pressed a wrong button??
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
That actually sounds like you did it right and confirms my suspicions that it may be a mechanical issue with the machine. Have you tried cleaning the machine yet? If you did how did you clean it?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned the heads via the printer. I'm just no getting and letters printed
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is an area on the cartridge that when pushed ink will come out that is normal, just get any dried ink off that area.
Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.
If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm doing what u told me to. I just unplugged the machine
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Take all the time you need.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same problem
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Did a copy come out the same way? Did it get even slightly better? If it did that would be a bad sign in which case how old is your machine? If over a year old did you get an extended warranty?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT's about 3 years old and no extended warrenty. Do u think it's seen better days?
Copy is the same, blank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
evrything moves in the machine .it makes noise like it's printing,but nothing is printed
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
If the copy had gotten slightly better we would have wanted to repeat the cleaning as it can sometimes take 3 tries. Since it did not however it usually means the carriage assembly needs to be replaced. Which is the carriage/print head responsible for putting ink on the page and if you look behind it the plastic strip as well, without a warranty this can be expensive. Due to that some people do decide to replace the machine instead. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Epson.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I'll have to buy a new one..Thanx for the help!!!!!!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You're welcome and If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Epson.
.