Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My printer will not print anything and all cartridges are full

Customer Question

my printer will not print anything and all cartridges are full and new. It just spits out a plain piece of paper
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Are you saying it puts out a blank page?Are you using genuine canon cartridges, or are they generic/refilled ones?If you make a photocopy, direct from the glass, in both black only and color modes, how do those come out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes they are canon cartriges. Yes it prints a blank page. Interesting. ..I just tried to print from glass and it printed nothing when I pushed the back button and the when i pushed the color button it printed black and white..only from the glass.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you there?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I am here. It takes a few minutes for replies to come through. Please respond only once, when you send multiple replies everything I was working on is lost and I have to start all over.Just a moment please.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (at least the black nozzles) You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning. I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2008 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok please guide me through a manual cleaning please
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Sure thing. Did you try the automated cleaning already?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
To try manually cleaning the print heads:Open up the printer, and look for the "carriage" that goes back and forth (on metal rails) over the paper while printing. This is the printhead. You'll remove the ink cartridges from the printer, then clean on the bottom of them (focus on the ink port/hole) as well as inside the printer where they mate up using qtips and rubbing alcohol. If you can, remove the carriage/print head (there will be a small lever at the side/rear of it that lifts up to release) and clean the bottom this way as well. When cleaning the port on the print head that the ink flows into from the cartridge, also try using a qtip to "pump" the liquid down into the port and force it through, which will help to dissolve any clogs. If possible, you'll get better results by using a syringe and appropriately sized rubber tubing (that will fit into the ink inlet port) to force the alcohol to flush through the head)After all of this swab again with a few dry qtips or give a blast of compressed air to dry everything well, then put it all back together. You can now try to print, or run the automated print head cleaning function in the setup menu. You may have to run a few pages through before everything starts flowing properly again. If none of this helps, then you've got a faulty print head(s) which would need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm trying auto cleaning...stay tuned
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
auto did not work
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, go ahead and run through the manual cleaning process then, if you so desire.If no luck, or you just don't want to deal with it, a new printer would be the next step.If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1F4fCYC Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, just checking in to see if you need any further help with this. If I’ve answered your question, please take a moment to rate my service, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. You are also welcome to reply back to me at no extra cost if I can be of any further assistance.
Thank you,