John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have an HP Deskjet 6988 printer connected to an apple

Customer Question

I have an HP Deskjet 6988 printer connected to an apple computer. The printer is not working now. The power light is on. I've unplugged it without success.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Thank you for your question. I amCustomerand I look forward to helping you with your issue today. Please try printing a self test report and check if you are able to get any response. Follow the instructions in the link below.http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Deskjet-6900-Printer-series/468002/model/468006/document/c01296414 Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer the above precedure did not work. No test page was generated
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, When you try to print anything, what is the response you are getting from the printer? Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No response
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
HI, Do you see any error lights blinking? Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No error lights are blinking
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Please try the following on your Mac computer and check the response. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.Choose Print & Fax (or Print & Scan) or Printers & Scanners.Hold down the Option (Alt) key on your keyboard while clicking the "-" (minus sign that you see on the left pane of the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) button. Then, choose Reset Printing System. If that does not work, or you are using Mavericks, hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.Note : Make sure that you are resetting the printing system before adding the printer. Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried it and the error message says that the "cover is open", but it is closed.
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Please do the following. Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself. Inside means the printhead where the cartrdige seats.Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 5 minutes.Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message.Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there. Then, try cleaning the printer interior as well as possible. Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, will do.
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Let me know the response you are getting after following the instructions. Thank you.S H E F I N