John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My Pixma iP4200 just up and died

Customer Question

My Pixma iP4200 just up and died in the middle of a printout. A/C power is getting to the printer but it will NOT  turn on either from the panel button or from the computer command. Is there a internal fuse/circuit breaker of some kind or is my machine "dead"? JJS

Category: Printers
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 1 year ago.
Good morning from the USA. (Local time here is 04:04 AM.) I'm Bruce, and my expert nickname is "DrKlahn."

The system says this is your first visit to JustAnswer. I find that new users often skip or do not notice some information during question setup. It is boilerplate but it is very important.

• Prices and payments issues must be handled by Customer Service.

• JustAnswer is not the Canon corporation web site. That is why there is a fee. I support products from many manufacturers and I happily troubleshoot all issues, including those where a manufacturer says "The problem is not in our product."

• Experts are not salaried or paid hourly. My assistance goes unpaid without your positive rating.

• If the problem involves hardware, please have it at hand so that you can work with it.

• Patience is required during Q&A. I get responses by email, which takes up to 8 minutes. Then I have to prepare and type a reply. Please allow for this.

• JustAnswer provides services 24/7, but both experts and customers have daily schedules. If you respond significantly later it might be the next day before I can reply.

Now that you've read the above, please let me know if you'd like to proceed. I have the service manual, I'll be glad to supply you a copy, and we can have a look at the issue. It may be repairable if you know a good electronics technician who will work on the power supply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I will opt out of this site and pursue it at a later date.

Thank you,

\JJSeaton

Expert:  DrKlahn replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Should I send your question to Customer Service for a refund of your deposit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes that would be fine. I've decided just upgrade to a all-in-one printer.

Thank you,

JJSeaton

Expert:  DrKlahn replied 1 year ago.
I think you have made the correct decision. The IP4200 is in theory repairable but the service manual indicates it was made "replace not repair" standards; there is little actual repair information.

I have some commentary on what to look for and what to avoid in a new inkjet printer, and some links to the online Canon and Epson stores. Would that information be useful?