Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I am trying to copy a &W printed sheet. The copy comes out

Customer Question

I am trying to copy a B&W printed sheet. The copy comes out all grey, full sheet, the print as well.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. So you have this issue (light color density, possibly blank/missing lines), with both photocopies as well as prints from the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get a grey colored page.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried using the "black only" mode, rather than the color mode, when making the copy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you for confirming. If the problem still happens then these symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head. You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning. I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is near the end of its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $125; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $70-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer. Best regards,Nathan