Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

I have changed my cartridges but my copies are more and more

Customer Question

I have changed my cartridges but my copies are more and more pale & illegible
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Have you tried cleaning the machine yet?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, how would I clean the machine?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is an area on the cartridge that when pushed ink will come out that is normal, just get any dried ink off that area.
Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.
If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did all you said and still awful!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
As I said in my very first reply to you it is possible you are going to need a part to fix this. Did it get even slightly better?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is not a good sign, how old is the machine? If over a year old did you get an extended warranty? Are you using genuine Canon cartridges? Generics, compatibles, and refills can all cause your problem as well as damage the machine.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its probably about 3 or 4 years old, using mostly Canon cartridges, occasionally use a staples but almost always Canon. No warranty.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
What kind are you using right now? As I mentioned non-Canon could cause your issue. You should also avoid using others as they can damage the machine which is what may have happened.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
4 Canon 1 Staples.....
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Next remove the ink and then look at the carriage. You should see a latch or lever you can lift. That will allow you to remove the print head. It sits under the cartridges in the carriages and looks like this image:
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/32214698061/Original-printer-head-for-font-b-Canon-b-font-iP3680-MP568-ip3600-MP550-font-b-printhead.jpg
Take only the print head and soak it in warm water for 10 minutes. Then change the water and repeat this. Keep repeating it until after 10 minutes the water is clear. Then let it air dry for 10 minutes. Do not test it yet but insert the print head and cartridges. Use the cleaning built into the machine once and then test it.
.