Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

MX410 NOT PRINTING; INSTALLED NEW BLK CARTRIDGE NOW GETTING

Customer Question

MX410 NOT PRINTING; INSTALLED NEW BLK CARTRIDGE NOW GETTING MESSAGE CHECK INK UO51 COL BLK.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Hi there, and sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Did you have this message prior to replacing the black?
Are you using new/genuine canon cartridges, or are they generic/refilled ones?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, trouble started when cartridge (focus remanufactured PG2100 was installed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for confirming. This message indicates a printhead error. It is possible however that a bad cartridge (common with remfg ones) is generating it though. Can you please try putting the old cartridge back in, or preferably a new genuine one, to test further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
reinstalled the old blk cartridge; don't currently have genuine one. getting same msg: check ink U051 blk.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately this then tends to indicate a hardware problem,
specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead/carriage pcb (or the logic board that controls it).
The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. Extended use of generic cartridges contribute to this wear and cause failures as well.
There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.
While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.
Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.