John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Ink Carriage does not move to center to replace the cartridges.

Customer Question

Ink Carriage does not move to center to replace the cartridges. What can I do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Could you recheck that printer model number for me please?Do you get any specific error messages, either on the printer or the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a Canon Maxify MB 2300
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No messages... it just doesn't move.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there.... I was interrupted for some time.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes I'm here, thank you for confirming. When you open the mid lid, are you able to grab the carriage by hand and move it over manually?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Also have you tried yet going into the canon setup menu (on the printer screen itself, not on computer) into maintenance, then to change/replace cartridges, to instruct the printer of your intent to change them? That should force it over as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am able to grab the carriage but it seems locked in place. I removed and reinstalled the software, but it had no effect on the carriage.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
The software has nothing to do with this, it is a printer function, not a computer function. It it won't move when instructed to from the menu or just automatically when raised, it tends to indicate a carriage jam or other hardware problem. Have you checked the printer menu yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. There is (at the location you suggested) an option to notify the printer that I want to change the ink. It's cleaning the head (which I did... no change. It was other similar options.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Remote Tech Support. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Do you see a change/replace cartridge option there though, you don't need to clean it, just replace them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under the location re ink, the only options are clean or adjust.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Do you see any other menu options, one called INK?