Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have a canon mx700 printer which has started to misbehave. In

Customer Question

i have a canon mx700 printer which has started to misbehave.
In settings, i have selected plain paper and front tray, but it refuses to recognise front tray and tries to print from rear tray; printing a test page works perfectly from the front tray
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Does it give you an error message? If it does what is the exact and entire error including any numbers?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no error message; simply says no paper in rear tray
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Please try making a copy from the scanner glass so the computer is not used at all, what happens?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
works perfectly.
this all worked perfectly yesterday!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
OK if the copy function works properly you may have a corrupted driver. What version of windows or mac is on the computer?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 7 professional
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Click on the windows start button and in the search box type printers and press enter.
(if there is not search box click on control panel and then printers)
Right click on your machine and any copies of it and click on delete.
Then disconnect the cable connecting it to the computer.
(if using a cable if not skip any cable steps)
You will need to restart the computer, you can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.
Restart the computer and reinstall the printer.
Only connect the usb cable when the computers asks you to or when the installation is finished.
Do not test the machine yet instead restart the computer again and then test it.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, i'll try that
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You're welcome, If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, this di not work. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
What happened when you tried it? What tray did you set it to?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Immediately tried rear tray
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Please try the front tray.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have again set printer for front tray with no luck
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
What happened when you tried them?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same as earlier. It tries rear tray
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
When you set it to the front tray it tries the rear tray? You also did not tell me what it did when you tried it with it set to the rear tray, what did it do?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It prints from tear tray which I do not want vi normally reserve that tray for photo paper
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
OK so now it is printing from the rear tray properly? And it will copy from the front tray properly? Howe are you setting it to the front tray on your computer?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Prints properly from rear tray; scans from front tray.
I go to printer properties, select plain paper and front tray
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
The front tray should be called something else in the driver, do you see a cassette option or anything like that? If not what options does it give you?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It is simply called front tray DNS that is what always worked up to now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DNS should be and
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
What options exactly does it give you?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to print s document. I press Ctrl+p; I then go to printer properties and I get:
Media type: plain paper
Paper source: I choose front tray, from s choice of rear, front or front for plain paper; I have tried all options
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's also s paper feed switch option which doesn't work either
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Front for plain paper is what should be used. Did you try that after reinstalling? Did you make sure to click on apply before sending the job?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, of course I did. Not getting anywhere here I'm sfraid
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
What driver did you use to reinstall? And since you think that I will opt out and open this to all experts. Your account just recently updated to show your previous 2 questions anyway.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to the option to install printer. Selected Canon mx700 and waited for the drivers to be installed restarted and when requested to do so printed a test page which oobviously required reconnecting the cable
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.
there is a feed switch button on the printer that tells it which tray to print from
there is a diagram showing where it is on page 13 of the quick start guide here
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300000450/01/mx700_qsg_us_v1.pdf
you also can only use plain paper of size letter or A4 from the front tray. If your document is set on the computer for a different size paper it will automatically switch to the rear tray. You can check what size you are printing on the computer under page or print setup.