Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My printer is saying it has a paper jam, but there is no paper

Customer Question

My printer is saying it has a paper jam, but there is no paper jammed in it?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. There are a few possible causes of this problem - there could be an actual paper jam, or some other debris (packing material, staple, paperclip, etc) inside, or there may be an underlying hardware problem. As an initial step, remove the input paper supply, and remove all the ink cartridges.Check the cartridges over very carefully for any tape, foil, plastic caps, etc. Check over the rest of the printer, inside and out, as well. Use a paperclip, and look very carefully for any debris like staples, paperclips, or even the tiniest scrap of paper which can cause this message. You'll then need to blow out the inside compartment with compressed/canned air.Replace the input paper supply and reseat the cartridges.Unplug power to the printer for a minute, then plug it back in and turn it on.Check if the error persists, and I"ll advised further if needed.Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not working
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trying. Unfortunately, that would tend to confirm a hardware defect, which could be a bad sensor, faulty logic/control board, or a fault in the paper feed path (bad motor/gear/belt).Last thing to try is to take a piece of thick heavy paper, like cardstock, and force it through the front of the printer, where a printed page would normally come out, to dislodge anything that may be stuck under the head.Do the reset process once more, and if that still doesn't help, let me know, as well as how long you've had the printer.Nathan