Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

I have a fairly new Canon Pixma MX420 printer and when it starts

Customer Question

I have a fairly new Canon Pixma MX420 printer and when it starts the paper is jamming. It seems that the paper is only being pulled down through by the rollers on one side only and so it gets jammed. There is no debris in the way and it looks like the rollers are turning on both sides where the paper is fed. Ive tried everything. Do you any other troubleshooting suggestions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. How old is it exactly?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Less than 4 months...just unwrapped it it was still in the original box etc... And it was working fine. I probably used it a total of 10 times.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Good that means you are still under warranty if you end up needing a part. When it jams where in the machine does it get jammed?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As soon as it starts to pull the paper down the paper is pulled more on one side than the other side and it jams there. It's as if the rollers that feeds the paper down are only working on one side.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Please feed a thick sheet like card stock through 3 or 4 times and then test it with a single sheet of normal paper. Let me know what happens.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Take your time.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I tried to make a copy with a thick piece of card stock and I tried to gently guide it the card stock down and this is what happened. The left side of the paper pulled to feed the paper and the right didn't and then this message popped up...Error: Paper output slot The paper is jammed. Clear the paper and press ok
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You may have to pull the card stock through, remove it from where the paper exits pulling slowly. Then press the ok button repeat 3-4 times then test a normal sheet.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It never goes down to feed thru to the output slot it gets jammed on the way down
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
It is getting jammed in the transport unit, if you do not see it where the paper exits check from the cartridge area. However the same thing still applies no matter what it does you need to repeat 3-4 times before testing normally.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot get any paper to feed down into the printer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You just told me it tried to feed the card stock now you are saying it is not doing that at all. Which is it doing? If it is not feeding/trying to feed at all it would mean you need a new part.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it tries to pull it down and in the process the left side of the paper goes down and not the right side so it is now a jammed piece of card stick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Card stock
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
As I just mentioned when it does that you should be able to open the machine from the cartridge area and pull the piece through. From what you just said it pulled the paper in got to the transport unit/cartridge area and got stuck.
After that disconnect all cables, remove all paper, turn it upside down and shake it side to side a couple times. You do not have to shake it hard. Then test it again.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok where is the area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cartridge area?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Yes
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where exactly is the cartridge area located?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
It is the are you change the ink cartridges from. Lift the scanner to look at it. After that disconnect all cables, remove all paper, turn it upside down and shake it side to side a couple times. You do not have to shake it hard. Then test it again.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok all steps completed and just tested it and error msg again.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Do you have canned air duster or a compressor you can use on the lowest setting? The next step would be to use either of the two and blow out all paper areas thoroughly.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes canned air. I'll try it now
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now when it starts to feed down into the cartridge area it stops and gives me an Error Msg- Rear tray There is no paper. Load paper and press ok. I do that again and get same message.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Unfortunately from what you are describing the feeder has failed and needs to be replaced. Call this number: 1-***-***-**** Tell them everything we did as they will normally have to ask you to do the same things before they can do anything. Since it is under warranty this should be covered and normally you will be sent out a replacement. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anything else I should try?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
No as I mentioned after everything we have tried if the same thing keeps happening, Call this number: 1-***-***-**** Tell them everything we did as they will normally have to ask you to do the same things before they can do anything. Since it is under warranty this should be covered and normally you will be sent out a replacement. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.