Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My canon mfc8580cdw is not printing black text. I have replaced

Customer Question

my canon mfc8580cdw is not printing black text. I have replaced the toner and still no luck.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
What is your computer, a Windows PC or an Apple computer?
Which version of Windows (or MAC OS X ) is on it?
(If a Windows PC, what is its System Type? either 32-bit or 64-bit, and found in
Start - Control Panel - System and Security - System .)
Also, is the Canon printer networked - or directly connected to the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have an Apple. Mac OSX version 10.7.5The printer is used for personal usage. It is connected wirelessly and also directly connected to another computer (both Apple). But the main usage is the wireless connection
OK... in that sort of shared configuration, I have to ask two more questions before I can try to advise you as to what to do:
1. is the other Apple computer, that the printer is directly connected to, currently and as of this moment, printing OK to the printer, and is it printing black text successfully as well?
2. when the problem computer does not print black ink, does:
(a) a blank sheet come out instead of a sheet of black text ?
or
(b) no sheet come out when you send a print job to it (of whatever color including black text) ?
With this info, I should be able to advise you. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Both printers are printing colors but black. For instance, I tried to print a word document with black text, paper came out blank. I changed the color to blue, it printed light blue. I changed it to red, it printed yellow. Back to black and nothing but blank came out.
Did you follow all instructions when putting in the new black toner?
Remove protective tape, etc.?
That's all important. I presume you did so, and then there's these questions:
When did the lack of black printing begin?
Can you run a photocopy off this printer, and if so, does it show copying of black text?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I replaced the black toner even though it didn't need to be. I followed the instructions. It was printing fine a few days ago, but I guess I noticed it the first time on Monday.I just had a power outage, and the printer restarted...everything is printing fine now. Ugg, sorry for wasting your time.
Then, it sounds as if your printer had a glitch or erratum; it's good that it is gone, but it may recur.A power failure that leads to a cured printer is rare... but you can, if the problem happens again, try a hard reset again:- unplug the printer from the power, sharply and suddenly, while it is On.- leave it unplugged, that way, for 30+ minutes.- plug it in to the power again, and turn it On if needed. See if that helps. Thanks.