Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

The Data LED light is blinking green and the error LED light

Customer Question

The Data LED light is blinking green and the error LED light is blinking orange on my MFC-9120cn Brother. It is in copy mode and I just tried to have it print from my computer. It doesn't print. I loaded some more paper and pressed "black" but it doesn't print. Can you tell me what's going on?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.It does not have modes that would prevent it from printing from the computer, what are the other lights doing? I need all of them even if they are off including if anything is blinking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no other lights on, off or blinking.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Try to print something does either the computer or the LCD on the Brother show any error?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to but nothing changes. The two lights are still blinking.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Before you said only the Data light was blinking, what other light is blinking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never said only the data light was the only light blinking. BOTH the data light and the error light are blinking.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I apologize I must have missed that. Blinking data means it is receiving data from somewhere in this case most likely the computer. The error flashing is a generic error that could be anything. How is the printer connected to the computer? Do you have it set up as a fax as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know "how" the printer is connected to the computer. The same way it's always been. It is a printer/fax/scanner.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
It could be a communication error, and to know how it is communicating with the computer we need to know how it is connected. If you have it set up as a fax as well etc. For example is it connected with a usb cable to the computer? Is it connected with a phone cable to be used as a fax?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how to answer your question.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I will opt out and open this to all experts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does that mean?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.
first if you have not done so please just turn off both the computer and the printer and wait a few minutes and then turn them both on again
if that does not fix the problem i would be happy to help you but it might be easier if we can talk on the phone and i can even remote into your computer to look at it myself. There is an extra charge for that service and you dont have to accept it but i think it might make things a lot easier.