Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a Brother 9120 and it prints with a blue vertical stripe.

Customer Question

I have a Brother 9120 and it prints with a blue vertical stripe. Toners are new
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.If the blue stripe is the same on all printouts, and extends from the top of the page all the way to the bottom, regardless of what is printed on each page, then you probably have a damaged fuser roller, or else (somewhat more likely) a damaged photosensitive 'drum' roller.In neither case can this be repaired. The component in question must be replaced.Examine the fuser first - it is less delicate. But be warned, it is very hot, and if examined before it cools down, you could burn yourself badly. So: turn Off the printer, and wait 10 minutes before looking at it, to give it time to cool down. Open the printer to near the end of the paper path, where the paper printed upon exits from the printer. There should be several rollers there in a unit, possibly with a felted metal case (the felt is slightly insulative against burning skin at a touch when the fuser is hot. First hold a hand over it to make sure it is not too hot, then flip the felted cover up to look at the rollers. If there is a stripe of blue on the fuser rollers anywhere, in a position corresponding to the stripe, then the fuser needs replacing.But far more likely - since the stripe on the page would be black, not colored anything, if the fuser were really what was damaged - the shiny, metallic-looking, photosensitive and easily damaged 'drum' is the damaged part that needs replacing.And, the 'drum' would be the drum in the blue section of the printer. Not in the other colors' sections, but in the blue.(If this type of printer combines toner cartridge and drum into one 'cartridge' unit, then that cartridge needs replacing in order to replace the 'drum' roller that is contained in it.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell,
I followed your description and there was no sign of what you wrote in my printer. Honestly, from a paid expert, I would expect a model-related answer (I did state the printer model in my question).
Alex
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Well... your laser printer has a fuser. It has to: ***** ***** fuse toner to paper with heat, in a set of heated rollers, at the end of the paper path.
You stated your printer as a 'Brother 9120', presumably this model:
MFC-9120CN
Is that your model, please? if so, it's a laser printer, or at minimum a printer that takes toner, not liquid ink.
I'd like to try again to advise you, with more specific references and instructions. But I need to be sure of your exact model # ***** I can do so. I hope that's understandable.