Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

We have a newish WF 4640 printer, and we have an error

Customer Question

Hello. We have a newish WF 4640 printer, and we have an error message 0x9A. We have turned the computer off and unplugged it, looked for a paper jam, and turned it back on again a minute or more later and the same error appears. We have an important document to print and it's not working. Any help that you can give would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
T Logan
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Open it as if you were going to change the ink, is the carriage stuck on the right?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like it.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Open printer so that the cartridge housing is accessible (flip the scanner housing up). Turn printer off.While printer is off, gently slide cartridge housing to the left about halfway.Turn printer on. After cartridge housing moves all the way to the right (which it will do on start up), gently push up and back on the housing and continue pressing/gently jiggling as the housing tries to free itself.Eventually, the housing will snap back to the left which will stop tripping the error message. It can take quite a few tries (I've done it as many as 20 times before seeing results).If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, our scanner housing won't flip up, only the top bit over the scanner, but we managed to move the cartridge housing to the middle. When we turned the unit back on, it didn't return to the right.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That is not a good sign, look behind the housing do you see a white or plastic clear strip?