Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics engineer with 7+ years of experience in repairing office equipments & printers
22727371

Is there a way to activate a password ***** so that my coworkers

Customer Question

is there a way to activate a password ***** so that my coworkers cannot use my printer?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with the best answer possible.
Is your computer a shared one ?
Or your printer is on the wireless network.
Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is on a wireless network in a school where i teach.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my computer is not shared. my printer is wireless to my laptop
In that case I'm sorry to say you cannot lock your printer to your computer. You can just lock it down to a particular wireless network. The users on that network will be able to use it because the printer is also on that network.
If you want you can connect your printer to your computer via USB cable and remove it from the wireless network.
Or you can subscribe to a personal wireless network and connect the printer to it.
Please don't hesitate to ask if you've any more questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what i meant was i don't want anyone physically going up to my printer and making copies. i keep my laptop with me when i leave for work and don't want anyone using the printer while i am away
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my coworkers don't know how to access the wireless from any computer just want to prevent them walking up physically and pressing copy
Thank you so much for clarifying. Its a simple solution but before that I need to know the make and model number of your printer.
Please tell me the make and model of your printer.
Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
epson 3640
Press the Home button > then select Setup > then scroll down and select Admin settings.Then select Admin password > then select register.Then a display keyboard will appear > enter the your password ***** you want to keep using the displayed keyboard.Once finished typing the password > press enter key present in the displayed keyboard.Then again type in your new password ***** confirm.Then select OK.Then select Lock setting and turn it to ON.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that admin password ***** ***** for preventing any changes in settings but it does nothing to prevent anyone to walk up to the printer and press the copy button and make copies.
I'm sorry to say this is the only lock feature your printer has. You've to use physical/hardware locks to lock your printer when you're not present.
Please click this link to buy a Microsaver keyed lock for your printer: http://www.kensington.com/us/us/v/4482/1675/microsaver%C2%AE-keyed-locks-duo#.VULoPSGqqko
Please let me know if need further assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this answer does not apply. i don't need a physical lock to keep someone from taking the machine. i need a passcode that allows only certain people access to make a copy. have you ever worked at a jo b where they give you a code to use the printer?
Your printer model doesn't have that feature. I'm sorry to say you won't be able to put any lock code on it.