Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

I have a EasyShare 5500 Inkjet Printer. It wont print documents

I have a EasyShare 5500 Inkjet Printer. It won't print documents, but it will print photos. I got new ink for both black and color. It appears as if the black is the problem. How can it be fixed?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Have you already tried manually cleaning the machine?
.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I don't know how.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did everything you suggested and it looked like it was printing a part of the characters, like the upper or lower half, but not legible.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
It sounds like it got slightly better can you repeat the steps one more time to see if it continues to improve or not?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have replied. It did not improve. It did not get slightly better. It was occasionally printing the partial letter, but sometimes not,.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I did not get anything until just now, thank you for posting again.
The next thing to try is cleaning the print head by removing it from the machine.

Remove the ink cartridges.
Then remove the print head:

http://faqs.kodak.com/atg/faq/images/p342_0064aa.jpg

Once it is removed soak it in warm water for 10 minutes.
Then clean off the print head itself again and insert it back into the machine.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took the printhead off and soaked it as you suggested. It is now worse. There is nothing at all on the page.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

.
Ok I really hate to have to tell you this but after the troubleshooting we have done if the problem is still there I am sorry to say you indeed are going to require a new part. I know this is not what you want to here but I want to make sure I am honest with the information I provide you. You would need to replace the print head in order to fix this issue.

I wish there was another way but with everything you have posted I am confident this is the problem with your machine. The reason for this is he print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Over time these parts deteriorate and need to be replaced. When failing they first show faded prints which can usually be fixed by cleaning the print head. Then once they fail completely they print blank because the nozzle is worn and nothing can pass through it.

A new print head normally costs between $50 and $80. You can get the part from here: Click Here In case you would like to look for it somewhere else the part number is XXXXX #10. Due to the price and this being an extremely common problem in Kodak printers some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement.

If this machine is under a year old Kodak will normally cover the part under warranty. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your machine, although I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX did I have no control over either of those.
.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, My machine is several years old.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You're welcome, with the age and this being common some people would replace it. If you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of IT and customer support experience