Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My Printer

Customer Question

My printer (HP J6480 All-in-One) worked OK for about one day after your help several days ago. Then it went back to not responding just like earlier except now it won't even respond to my old Dell laptop. I am so disgusted I am about ready to junk it and get some other brand I can rely on. I have already paid my fee so I think you owe me another fix if you can.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Did your printer stop working when you re-enabled your firewall, perhaps? just at a guess.

Also: Is your printer working (or, trying to work) by a wireless connection, or is it wired directly to your Windows 7 PC?

Is there any error message, or is it simply refusing to respond to your computer when your computer sends print jobs to it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I enabled the firewall as soon the re-installation was completed. The printer worked fine for a day or so. It has been working wireless on both computers. Now neither one works. Now when I give it the print command a message appears that says "printing" but nothing happens. In a little while the message"printing" disappears. This "printing" message is normal and always did appear.

Please check as to whether any print jobs are present in the printer queue (on either or both computers):

Go to Start - Control Panel - Printers, and double-click on the icon representing your printer (whichever one it is.)
That will open a small window, the queue window, in which the print jobs are displayed. You will need to clear all the jobs out of the queue and empty the window, either one-by-one (selecting each and choosing Documents - 'Cancel') or all at once by doing Printer - 'Cancel All Documents'.

Once the print queue is cleared, you need to try printing again - something simple, and with the queue window still open: Go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - Notepad, type in a few words, and choose File - Print to send a simple job to your printer.

Does that (Notepad print) just stick in the queue? then clear it out of the queue (after giving it a minute or two to try to get printed), and try a hard reset of your printer:

Turn the printer OFF, when it is on, by suddenly and sharply unplugging it from the power source.
Also unplug it from the computer!
Leave it that way for 10 minutes.
Plug it back in.
Turn it on if it didn't turn itself on. Wait for it to initialize.
Try printing again.

Let me know what happens, please. I will have more suggestions to make, if the above does not restore printer function.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I followed you instructions explicitely and it still responds with nothing. The new message it typed in to try to print just hung up in the print queue. Where do I go from here? Get a different printer?

I don't know what's wrong - yet.

Why not try hooking up the printer via USB? briefly / temporarily, to see if it works that way.

If it works that way, you have a printer that works even if the wireless connection is flaky somewhere.

If it doesn't work, you have a defect in the printer. (By the way, does any error condition show up on the printer, or on its indicator lights? please tell me the status indicated there. It may suggest something more to do.)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I hooked up the USB. It went through the USB installation process. When the process was completed I chose the "print test page" option and it printed that. Tried to print another document but nothing happened. No, there are no messages, nothing, shows up on the printer window. The word processor image that I tried to print just hung up in the queue which again I deleted.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I responded to your last suggestion of hooking up with USB. I did that and when it got done with initializing and all that it asked if I wanted to print a test page, which I did, and that printed. But again, when I tried to print from the computer it did nothing except it hung up in the queue again. I sent this response around 12:30PM but have not yet heard back from you. Any more suggestions?

You mentioned trying to print a "word processor image" - please tell me whether that means MS Word, or MS Office, or WordPerfect of some sort?

And please try printing from a Notepad, while the printer is hooked up by USB:

Go to
Start - All Programs - Accessories - Notepad,
type in a few words, and choose
File - Print
to send a simple job to your printer.

Does that (Notepad print) just stick in the queue? then clear it out of the queue.

Please inform me as to whether you have Word, or WordPerfect of some sort, and also what the Notepad print test results in. Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I tried the notepad and nothing happened. It was hung up in the queue which I deleted. Then I tried wordperfect 12 with the same results. Still nothing ever shows in the printer window. It is just dead.

Please check your Print Spooler service - and tell me (if you want accurate directions as to how to do that) what your Windows version on your computer is, please.

Also please go to
Start - Control Panel - Printers (or, Devices and Printers),
and check as to whether your printer is listed with a large check-mark on its icon.

If it is, then check whether that is the wireless install of the printer, or the USB install of the printer.

- If the USB install, well and good. But if it is the wireless install of the printer, then you are probably sending print jobs to it, still, and that would explain why nothing ever shows up in the print queue (for the USB install of the printer.)

Let me know what you find out, please; I will have more advice based upon the results of the above checks. Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I am not sure what you mean about Print Spooler service. There is a large green check mark on my printer icon. There is nothing to indicate whether it is the wireless or USB but I am sure that nothing has been changed. My main computer is Windows 7. My laptop is windows XP. They both are doing the same thing; nothing. The laptop had been OK even after the printer would not respond to the Windows 7. Now, as I explained, the printer does not respond to either one and the print job hangs up in the quere on both computers which I immediately delete.

Then you may just have a defective printer.

The problem with that interpretation is, that you got a good test print out of it, via USB.

On the other hand... when you install a printer via USB, it can't help but send the test page the install asks you whether you wish to print... to the right printer install or 'port' (loosely speaking).

But if you sent those other test prints to the default printer (the one with the check-mark on it) then they were sent via wireless (which isn't working to all appearances.) So they wouldn't come out of the printer, as it is now hooked up via wireless.

So, when you try sending another Notepad print, please *select* the 'other' appearance of your J6480 printer... than the default or check-marked one... which ought to be the USB install of it.
(For you see, in the Start - Control Panel - Printers [or, Devices and Printers], you can have two - or more - icons for a given printer, if they are different installs of it. And if one is a wireless install and the other a USB install, then the print jobs will be sent different ways... one of those two icons might not work, you see.)

Try it and let me know what happens. Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have tried every suggestion you have made and it appears nothing works. When i printed from notepad it did print. when I tried something on wordperfect it just sat there with no response. Then when I went back to notepad I could not get any response. I can get no response from the laptop. I give up!

Maybe your HP printer is simply no good any more.

But the fact that it printed a test page OK seems to distinctly contradict this.

Try this:

First, disconnect the printer, turn it off and unplug it from both power and computer. Leave it that way throughout the following, until you are instructed to connect it up again by the installation software routine (or, at least, by that routine having completely ended and finished and exited etc.)

So: turn off, unplug, unplug your printer.

Go to your Windows 7 computer, to the Start button, then to Control Panel, and remove all entries for your printer, and its series in Devices And Printers, by clicking on each icon (or entry) and deleting. (In this case, if there are any scanners shown, or any HP devices, select and then delete those, also.)

Then go to Control Panel, Programs, Programs And Features, and use Uninstall (or Change) to get rid of all programs specific to your printer.

Then, reboot your Windows 7 computer: shut it down and start it up again.

Then, go to
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-79309-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4062&product=3635378&sw_lang=
and click on the orange Download button and follow the download process, getting the driver onto your disk, and completing the download and then starting the driver installation program and following through the process.

If, after that, you have further problems getting the printer to work, you need to download and run this utility:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-123407-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4062&product=3635378&sw_lang=

and have it, while the printer is connected to the computer, tell you what the problem is.

After that, if the printer is indeed non-functional, look over and choose an option on this page:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-information/environment/product-recycling.html
instead of just throwing it away. There are better, recycling-style, options there - including that of possibly selling your printer back to HP!

Let me know if you need any further help with this matter, in any detail.

Please rate my Answer - favorably I hope - so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK. Both computers, Windows 7 and Windows XP, have HP Officejet J6480 installed and working with USB. Both computers are wireless capable and used to work wireless with this printer. How do I go from USB to wireless?

Your help was great to finally get the printer going. But i sure do need wireless. Again, my question; how do I get them back to wireless? Thanks.

Thank you for your generous rating of my Answer.

As for getting it going wireless: Have you had new security software installed on either or both computer? if so, it will need adjusting before wireless will work.

Have you had the wireless router/box replaced recently? or has it been in the same place, not upgraded, for years? in either case, some work will need to be done because of the router box.

But otherwise, here's the outline:
1. you disconnect the printer from the computer(s).
2. you uninstall/remove/delete the USB install from your computer.
3. you restart the computer(s).
4. you download the driver that will set up wireless properly. (It must be appropriate for the operation system or Windows version.)
5. you double-check to be sure that you know the local SSID and wireless encryption passphrase.
6. you install the driver that you downloaded in step 4.
7. at some point it will ask you to reconnect the printer. Don't reconnect before then.

Do you want the whole procedure with all the steps?
If so, please do it only for one computer at a time... so that you don't ruin the ability to print on both computers at once.
And if so, please tell me the exact Windows version on the computer you'll try this out on, including the 'System Type' i.e. what shows up on
Start - Control Panel - System [Information]
as either 32-bit or 64-bit.

With that information, I will give you the procedure. Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Well, I will finally get back to the work at hand. I want to start with the Window XP pro. This is 32-bit. I am assuming it is 32-bit because I cannot find any place that tells me otherwise and the other computer plainly spells out 64-bit.

You need to understand that you are dealing with an 83 year old who is quite computer illiterate so will need patience. and be specific. I am ready if you are. You had said the USB would need to be uninstalled. I have done nothing because I have been unable to find a place for that. So I guess we need to start from there. Like I said earlier, the printer works from this computer on USB.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I failed to relate that my router was new in July of 2013 but both computers and printer had been working well until recent. However, for your info, the router is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Key/passphrase XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Sorry for the ommision on previous message.

Yes, the Windows XP Pro P.C. is 32-bit. If it doesn't say explicitly that it is 64-bit, then it is emphatically the much more common 32-bit edition.

I think you're doing fine so far. So, I'll say that in the instructions below, every reference to 'the computer' means the Windows XP Pro P.C. (32-bit).

Here's the complete instructions, starting with the uninstall of the USB configuration:

First, disconnect the printer, turn it off and unplug it from both power and the computer. Leave it that way throughout the following, until you are instructed to connect it up again by the installation software routine (or, at least, by that routine having completely ended and finished and exited etc.)

Go to your computer, to the Start button, then to Control Panel, and remove all entries for your printer and its series in Printers and Faxes, by clicking on each icon (or entry) and deleting. (In this case, if there are any scanners shown, or any HP devices, select and then delete those, also.)

Then go to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, and use Uninstall (or Change) to get rid of all programs specific to your printer.

Then, reboot your computer: shut it down and start it up again.

Then, go to

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-62866-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=3635378&sw_lang=

and click once on the Download button and follow the download process, getting the driver onto your disk, and completing the download and then starting the driver installation program and following through the process.

After that is installed, don't necessarily expect your printer to be good to go for long: HP has issued two or three updates or patches that may be necessary for your wireless connection to work for a while! - so download and install these, one by one:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-65961-4&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=3635378&sw_lang=

and

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-69032-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=3635378&sw_lang=

With those two updates added in, any success you have with the system ought to be lasting.

But if you still get 'no connectivity', or 'no wireless connection', then try this:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-123407-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=3635378&sw_lang=

Download it and run it, and see what it says is wrong or needs correcting, and follow what indications it gives you - if you have any doubt about anything, stop short and let me know and I will advise you.

Let me know the result of the above. Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I removed all evidence of HP on my computer. Then do you mean for me to type in that entire two lines to down load? I tried that and I did not get a download button to click. I am giving up for tonight and going to bed. Have a good night.

The links / addresses I cited for you, ought to open automatically when clicked upon once, in a new window the page with the (orange) Download button ought to appear.

Puzzlingly, all those links in my Answer appear 'dead' - they don't open, even for me.

I am presenting all four links again here, in the hope they will work properly:

and

and

and

...if upon testing, those links as presented here work, I will re-edit and add explanatory text around them, so you won't have to refer back to the previous Answer.

...no, they don't work. Something is wrong with the JustAnswer.com website.

You'll have to refer back to my original Answer of yesterday. Do this with the links:

1. click with the mouse just past the very end of the 2-line link, just past 'lang=' in other words
....but don't release the mouse button...

2. ...then draw the mouse button to the left (and upward a little) so that a highlighting appears all the way across the 2-line link, and so up to just to the left of 'http://' at the beginning of the link.

...then release the mouse button...

3. ...and go up to the top of your browser window, the click on

Edit

then click on

Copy

4. then go to a new browser window, or a new browser tab.

5. then click in the Address field, just to the right of the 'Back' or ' <- ' arrow button in other words...

6. then click on

Edit

then click on

Paste

7. then, with the URL thus copied into the Address field of your browser window (or browser tab), you press RETURN, once.

8. the page should appear, with the orange Download button.

I hope that isn't too cumbersome to get through... but it beats trying to type out such a long complicated URL address, with likely mistakes.

(And I'm sorry the website isn't working the way it should just now.)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Everything seems to work until I get to the point of "paste". The paste never lights up that it is alive. I have tried over and over and it does not work. At this point I am ready to give it up and just get along with USB connection on the main computer. Thanks so very much and I will still give you a very high rating.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

First link:

...I want to see whether a different method of setting up the links will overcome whatever the temporary difficulty is.

That did not work! Which is strange. I will be reporting it as a bug!

I have sent a report, asking urgently for help with your question page's issue with not having usable links. I hope it will be taken care of soon.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

At this point both computers are working only with USB connections. I could easily live with that with the Windows 7 but auite disappointed that I can't get wireless on the Windows XP. I decided with all that we have gone through we would just live with it. I very much appreciate your help.

I am disappointed that I wasn't able to get the procedure to you (its links specifically) working.

(One last try on that first link, if you don't mind:

which will be posted on the page devoted to your question:

http://www.justanswer.com/printers/8446m-printer.html )

(Result: the page devoted to your question is a working clickable link, the HP address still isn't. I'm really sorry, and I hope you'll accept my assurance that this is a very rare failure.)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have borrowed a HP All-in-one J6480 from my daughter-in-law. I had totally uninstalled everything regarding my old one. Now when I try to install the barrowed printer , it starts but then tells my my computer does not support this printer. Again, the printer is Dell with Windows 7. What do I do now?

If you don't install the software for the J6480 printer first, before connecting it to the computer, then it may not work properly.

Disconnect the J6480 from the computer.
Then go to

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4062&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3635378#N187

... if this page permits links to be posted. It wasn't allowing that, before this.

...but anyway, get the driver from there. Also try the Print and Scan Doctor Utility, which might help indicate what is wrong.

Install the driver, once it is done downloading.
Then (or when the driver installation requires it specifically) connect the printer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you very much. The download worked great. Printer is now working wireless. Now my question is; is there a different download for use on my other computer with XP system? Another question. I would like to try my own printer again. Would this download be compatable with a like computer? Again, you are great help.

Let me try to sort out those questions in some simple fashion:

- Yes, a download would work with XP, for the same type of printer, you'd just have to select XP, like this:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3635378

- the download would work with your own printer... but the driver would have to be reinstalled, I suspect, since part of the printing configuration is (usually) the specific identification of the specific printer, as well as the printer model.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks again. I won't have the time to try anymore today. If time works out I will work with it tomorrow.

OK. Let me know how it goes please, at your convenience.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I got both, Windows 7 and XP loaded to print but I had hoped to at least have the XP wireless like it used to be but the only way to make it function is via USB. For some reason it will not recognize my router, which is a CenturyLink9547.

Incidently this is using my original printer J6480, which I had thought was shot. Now it seems all aspects are functioning except wireless but that seems to be that the program will not recognize the router.

So, did the download for XP not work at recognizing the wireless function of the printer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I am not sure but I think that may be the issue. Also I spoke too quickly several days ago about the Windows 7. That also does not respond wireless. Other then that all functions appear great.

I am not real sure but I would assume it was the download that did not recognize it. Also i spoke alittle hasty the other day; the wireless never did respond on the Windows 7 either. Printer appears to be responding good on both computers via USB.

It sounds as if the wireless function of that printer died, then.