Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I have a model 4100e and it keeps saying "Paper Jam" and there

I have a model 4100e and it keeps saying "Paper Jam" and there is no paper jam. How do
I fix this.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the brother,

Nathan :

there are several possible causes of this issue:
there may actually be a paper jam, or some other debris inside, you may have a faulty sensor or other hardware failure, or it may just be a memory glitch.

Nathan :

First, open up the compartments/covers, remove the toner and paper tray, and blow everything out from all angles with compressed air, to remove any bits of lint, dust, etc that could be stuck inside.

Nathan :

Then, we need to fully reset the machine.

Customer:

ok, I did this. What next

Nathan :

Unplug power at the wall outlet (and disconnect any phone, usb, network, etc cables). While it is unplugged go ahead and put the machine back together. Wait at least 15 minutes, then press and hold the stop/cancel button for 60+ seconds, keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release.

Nathan :

Then test for functionality.

Nathan :

If the problem persists at that point, then there is an internal defect, either a fault in the main/control board, or some faulty sensors along the paper path, which are producing this error.

Nathan :

If it comes to that point, while it is possible to fix, it would be less costly to replace the machine, as you'd be looking at $300+ for repairs, and a new machine can be purchased for $150-200.

Customer:

Well it didn't work, so I guess a new machine is in order.

Nathan :

I would suggest you try the steps again, carefully rereading my instructions and following exactly.

Nathan :

There is no way you could have completed all of the steps I suggested in the past 5 minutes

Nathan :

it needs to be unplugged from power for at least 15 minutes to let the internal memory clear

Nathan :

that step may not change the final outcome, if there is a hardware issue here, but it is worth a try.

Customer:

Sorry, I thought it said 15 seconds. I will do it again.

Nathan :

No problem

Nathan :

In the meantime, I'll be happy to recommend some replacement models for you, if you'd like.

Nathan :

You can actually still get this same model, if you were happy with it otherwise. They tend to be quite reliable and you already know how to use everything on it.

Nathan :

But there are of course alternatives as well. If you don't fax a lot (say more than 50 pages a day), you could get by with a smaller machine,

Nathan :

or go with a combination all in one (print,fax, scan, copy) machine that will actually cost less, and give you more features

Nathan :

For something that is fax only, but smaller, you could go with this:

Brother Printer FAX2840 High-Speed L... (click for link)

Nathan :

Or for a reasonably priced all in one unit:

Canon Lasers imageCLASS MF4770n Mono... (click for link)

Customer:

I paid around a $1000.00 for my machine years ago. You mean to tell me they have gone down in price that much. I do

Nathan :

Yes, they really have.

Nathan :

The same exact model is still sold, the one I sent above is your same model for $250

Customer:

need a dedicated fax machine here at my office. I do around 25-30 faxes a day (receive and send) so this until will

Customer:

work. Does it have speed dial.

Nathan :

The 4100e model has been around since 2003 though, and is a "standard" office fax machine. I've installed hundreds of them, and rarely have trouble, they are considered the workhorse of the small office fax lineup

Nathan :

Which unit? The middle one (the 2840)?

Nathan :

The fax2840 does have speed dial keys, 11 of them.

Customer:

Which one should I buy if mine doesn't work. Some days I only a 5-6 faxes.

Nathan :

I would go with the middle or last option I sent.

Nathan :

The benefit to the canon one is that it has the other functions available too. You can use it just for faxing, but sometimes it's nice to have a 2nd machine around that can print or make photo copies, etc, in case your main printer dies, or if the copier is occupied and you just need a quick one, etc

Nathan :

If you really only ever need to fax though, I would probably lean toward the brother fax 2840. Since it has the built in phone handset, it does make the faxing process easier in some cases when that is needed

Customer:

How much is the Brother and where do I buy it at a great price.

Nathan :

Brother Printer FAX2840 High-Speed L... (click for link to purchase on amazon.com for $129 with free shipping)

Nathan :

You can get it right from the link I just sent. I doubt you'd find a better price than amazon, but you can certainly check a local office store like staples, office max, etc. Factor in that you'd pay tax there though, which you probably wont' on amazon.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX plug in the fax now.

Nathan :

Yes I believe it's been long enouch,

Nathan :

remember to press and hold the stop button (the pink one) while you plug back in

Customer:

It's time for a new machine. Thank you for your excellent service. I will first check locally for one then go to Amazon

Customer:

if I cannot find one. Dave

Nathan :

You're very welcome Dave, sorry to be the bearer of bad news today, but thanks for sticking it out with me to test these things.

Nathan :

Have a great day,

Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.