Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

i have a brother 7460 which has stopped allowing auto fee

i have a brother 7460 which has stopped allowing auto feed!

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.

Can you please give me a few more details about what exactly you try to do and how you do it and exactly what happens instead of what you expect to happen ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Robert-

It scans on the flat part of the copier but won't auto feed (and nothing is down there)

the auto feed works, because it will do it randomly (a few minutes ago i tried it and it worked)

When i place something in the autofeed, i push scan, then select scan to PC, then scan to email, then start. it only scans on the flat bed

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i don't know if this is related, but worked fine yesterday and today i installed windows 8.1 update and it's not working

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

plus, the blank pages it scans to email aren't going to the rigtht place. I get a pop up for imported pictures videos showing a whole bunch of blank docs.

it's supposed to be coming up in an email format like yesterday so i can send it right out

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if i do scan to file, the auto doc feed works but i don't know how to get it after that or get it into an email to send off

there might be something stuck in the autofeed that is stopping the paper from getting all the way in far enough to trigger the machine to know that there is something in it. If it does not sense anything in the auto feed it is going to assume it is on the scanner glass.

This page has instructions for opening the ADF ( automatic document feed ) and removing a jam. I am sure there is not a whole page in there but look for something small that might have fallen in. Even just opening it up and if you have a can of compressed air blowing it out might improve the sensitivity a bit. And try making sure that the paper is all the way in the feed unit. Very light paper or curled paper might give it a bit of a problem as well.

For the email problem you can try doing a system restore if you think the update screwed it up

System restore instructions - windows 7 or 8

hit the windows logo key and the R key together

in the run box that pops up type

rstrui.exe

and hit enter

select restore to an earlier date.

Under the "suggested restore" which is usually not old enough to help is a link for "OTHER RESTORE POINTS"
click that if the suggested ones are not BEFORE THE PROBLEM STARTED

choose a date that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

a restoring settngs box will appear with a status bar

when it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected.

It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

theres nothing wrong with auto feed because it will scan to file using an autofeed.

If i reboot as you describe, will that end this session or can i try it now?

you can add this page to your favorites by hitting ctrl D and then you can bounce right back by selecting it from your favorites list

or you can follow the link the site emails you when I post a response.

give the restore a shot and then come back whenever you want

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Robert-

I tried doing it through the control center app again, which i haven't been using because i didn't need it. It wouldn't work earlier, but now it's working for some reason. I think this is resolved. I didn't need to restore.

ok. I am not there and I didn't see the problem but my best guess would be that

A. there was something wrong with one of the pages and it just didn't get in far enough to trigger the auto feed and

B. Maybe because of that it just glitched something in the printer so it wasn't sending them correctly and it reset itself at some point when it scanned or printed something

In any case if you are happy than I am certainly happy. I would appreciate if you would give me a good rating.

I am dependent on your rating for my status on the site and I can not receive credit for my work if you do not rate me.

Thank you

ps I will hold the question open even after you rate me so if the problem re occurs you can post right back in and I can continue working on it with you for no additional charge