Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

My Canon Pixma 860 is making a grinding noise when I want to

My Canon Pixma 860 is making a grinding noise when I want to print.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.

that's usually not a good sign.

Is it still printing ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I stopped it when I heard the noise - so not sure if it will print - was hesitant to continue

That is a physical problem. Something in there is grinding on something else.

It could be a foreign object like a paper clip or a button that fell in the printer. It could be that something in the drive train is broken and out of place and when it spins rather than driving a gear to drive something else it has slipped off and is grinding on something it shouldn't be next to.

Really you have to let it go a little bit to see where the grinding is coming from and then investigate in that area to see exactly what is grinding. If you are lucky it is just something stuck in the printer that you can easily remove. Or something that just slipped out of its socket and can be slipped back in

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

ok - I'm going to print something -

ok let me know if it prints. that would say its more likely a foreign object than a broken part

but for sure see if you can localize where the noise is coming from in the printer

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

it printed - I tried 3 times and it printed each time. Actually, the noise wasn't as intense. I've been tipping it and moving it around so maybe it was a foreign object and it moved - I haven't seen anything or found anything though. Just printed again and no noise this time. So, I guess my problem is solved - thank you

You are very welcome. If you are happy with the results than I certainly am.

I would really appreciate if you would give me an excellent rating

I am dependent on your rating for my status on the site and to receive credit for my time.

I will hold this question open even after you rate me and if the problem re occurs just post back in and I will help

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok, thank you I appreciate that - We have a small business and I need to print some checks - hopefully all goes well. I will definitely rate you excellent.

Thank you I really do appreciate that :)