Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors

Hi. I came home to find my printer screen saying "printing

Hi. I came home to find my printer screen saying "printing fax page 1" and the"!" light flashing as well as the "on" light flashing. There is paper and I don't see a paper jam. I need to receive my faxes for work and am not technical. Please help.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 months ago.

Michelle :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you today.

Michelle :

what is the make and model number of the printer

Customer:

HP 3110 All-in-One

Michelle :

is it HP Photosmart 3110 All-in-One Printer

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

do you see any error message on the lcd

Customer:

no it just says "printing fax page 1"

Michelle :

and the message is on there for how long

Customer:

the message is still going just as it does when it is printing a fax. been going for hours. The "on" button is flashing and the "!" symbol is flashing orange. but if I press the help button the lcd just beeps and says "busy"

Michelle :

pull out the power cable from the printer and wait for 3 mins

Customer:

But won't I lose the fax ?

Michelle :

it should be on the memory stored but please wait

Michelle :

dont turn off now

Michelle :

let me see if it will be on the fax memory

Customer:

It was doing it the other day too and I ended up pressing cancel. That stopped it but I lost the fax of course and that

Customer:

is what I don't want to do as I don't know which doctor sent it.....

Michelle :

we might loose this fax but we will have to identify the problem

Michelle :

Follow these steps to test the copy, scan, and fax functions using the product control panel.

Michelle :

1. Place an original document on the scanner glass or in the automatic document feeder (ADF). Use the control panel on the product to copy the original.

2. Place the same original back on the scanner glass or in the ADF. Send a test fax using the control panel on the product.

3. Place the same original on the scanner glass or in the ADF again. Use the control panel on the product to scan the document.

Customer:

It won't let me copy as it is busy. Shall I press cancel and lose the fax? Where would I send a test fax to ? I faxed a few docs this morning with no problem

Michelle :

dont press cancel

Michelle :

unplug the power cable

Michelle :

remove the papers

Michelle :

open the cover and check if there is any paper stuck

Customer:

done. no papers stuck as I said. shall I plug back in ?

Michelle :

yes go ahead

Customer:

done

Michelle :

is the printer in ready state now

Michelle :

go to the menu and try to get into fax menu

Customer:

it is saying "printing" and lights still flashing. nothing happening

Michelle :

i am working please allow some time

Michelle :

Remove any memory cards or USB drives you have inserted into the printer

Michelle :

Press the Power button to turn off the printer.

Wait 30 seconds.

Press the Power button to turn on the product.
Check the display for the error message.

Customer:

I have never had any cards in it. I've shut it down. Turned on and it tells me improper shut down, which we know because we pulled plug out just before. Also says an ink is out of date but that's happened before without this problem occurring.

Michelle :

did you remove the usb cable as well

Customer:

what usb cable. the one I plug into computer to print ? it is in but it is not plugged into computer at moment so just sitting there

Michelle :

okay

Michelle :

turn on the printer and tell me if the error is still there

Customer:

the printer is turned on. apart from the messages I mentioned, which I got rid of by pressing ok to say I had read them, the printer is in normal state ready to go. But I don't know why it did it or if it will do it on the next received fax

Customer:

hello is there more to come ? It is late here and I am waiting to go to bed Michelle

Michelle :

try to clear and reset the fax memory this problem happens when there is a fax memory overflow.

Customer:

how do I do that ?

Customer:

I have b

Customer:

I have been in to the set up etc and it says no faxes in memory

Michelle :

press the menubotton

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

that means the printer has been reset with power cycling

Michelle :

you should not get the error any more try and check and let me know after you receive more faxes

Customer:

Fingers crossed but we don't know what the problem was still do we. Thanks for your help anyway.

Michelle :

its a general error and it gets reset with power cycling and if the error was something to do with hardware then there would be technical troubleshooting steps given by the manufacturer

Customer:

ok thanks Michelle. Goodnight

Michelle :

Thank you.

Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors