Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware
15197395

I have canon pixma M470 printer. I mistakenly stated a print

Customer Question

I have canon pixma M470 printer. I mistakenly stated a print when a Kleenex was in the roller. Cleaned it out, but now it won't work at all (print or scan). Yellow and green lights are alternately flashing. Anything I can do other than taking it in for repair?

Jerry Pearson
Mayfield Heights (Cleveland), OH XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 9 months ago.
Thank You!! for posting your Question.My name is XXXXX XXXXX today I will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

Honestly speaking, I don't think there is any other way left except repairing the printer, but we can try some steps to see, if the problem get solve at home, can you tell me, if you see any error code or message on the printer screen or not ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Error code: 5100

Expert:  Sudipto replied 9 months ago.
OK, please open the printer cover/scanner unit and let me know, if the cartridges can move to the center or not ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

When I open it, the carriage and cartridges are to the right (hidden).

Expert:  Sudipto replied 9 months ago.
So, they do not move to the center, as they moved when you want to replace the cartridges ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

When I replace the cartridges, they are at the left. I know the carriage moves across when printing/scanning, but right now nothing. Just now tried "reset", "scan" nad "start" - nothing (won't move).

Expert:  Sudipto replied 9 months ago.
If the normal position of the cartridges are at left and you see they are at right, at present that means the problem is with the carriage mechanism, the error code also support the problem, please turn off the printer then, check the bottom of the cartridges for any obstructions and let me know, if you find anything or not ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Well, I can't look at the cartridges, Sudipto. As I told you, right now they're thrown all the way to right and covered by the upper part of the case. When I turn off > on, the carriage/cartridges do move back to the left, but they then return immediately baack to the right. I tried scanning then, but the yellow/green lights come back on along with the 5100 error code.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Jerald for the information, as you said that , the cartridges move back and forth, after you power off and on the printer, that means the carriage mechanism is working, now as the cartridges are stopping at the right side, instead of left that means the problem is with the sensor, which detect the position of the cartridges, only one thing which you can try to solve the problem and if the problem does not get solve after trying this then, you have to repair the printer.

Power off the printer and power on it again, then as soon as the cartridge move to the left side, power off the printer, so that the cartridges stop at the left side, then follow the steps below to clean the encoder strip following the steps below , which looks like the image below.

1. With the printer on, open the top cover to allow the print cartridge cradle to move to the center of the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the printer.

3. Slide the cradle to the far-left position.

4. Identify the semi-clear mylar encoder strip, located just behind the round, metal, cradle rod.

CAUTION: When pulling the cloth along the encoder strip in Step 5, grasp the strip gently, to ensure that the strip does not break. Pull the cloth in a right-to-left direction.

5. Moisten a clean cloth or tissue with water, then gently grasp the strip between the thumb and forefinger, and carefully pull the moistened cloth along the entire length of the strip in a right-to-left direction. Repeat this step with a different portion of the cloth to ensure that all foreign matter is removed.

6. Move the cradle to the far-left position and repeat Step 5 on the right side of the encoder strip, beginning as far right as possible. Again, gently pull the cloth in a right-to-left direction.

7. Allow the encoder strip to dry, or gently dry the encoder strip with a clean, dry cloth or tissue.

8. Position the cradle near the center, and then plug the power cord into the printer.

9. Close the top cover to allow the print cartridge cradle to move back to the right of the printer.

10. Print a self-test to ensure, that the printer is functioning properly.
Sudipto, Engineer
Experience: DIploma in Computer Hardware
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It worked, Sudipto. I hadn't been aware that the carriage can be moved. When I did, I found clumps of Kleenex and when removed my printer now works fine.

Thanks,

Jerry Pearson

Mayfield Heights (Cleveland), OH

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Expert:  Sudipto replied 9 months ago.
Great to hear that!!