Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

Why are my photos not printing the correct colour, I have changed

Why are my photos not printing the correct colour, I have changed to new cartridges. The photos have a very red look. Am try to print old black and white photos. The coloured photos that I want to print also come out with a very red look
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the HP,

Nathan :

can you tell me, if you try to make a photo copy on the machine (rather than printing from the computer), do you have the same problem?

Customer:

No

Nathan :

So a photo copy of a photo comes out normally? And the problem only happens in printing photos from the computer?

Customer:

Yes from the computer via the printer

Nathan :

Okay, then cleaning, alignment, etc won't help,

Nathan :

as this is a computer issue, not a printer issue

Nathan :

the likely problem is that things on your monitor display differently than real world colors (most monitors are not well calibrated), and so what you see on the screen comes out differently when it is printed

Nathan :

You may have to try editing the photos proactively to make them less red, so that they print out correctly

Nathan :

Unfortunately though this printer model really has no color calibration adjustments, so changing the driver won't help,

Nathan :

you can really only adjust the image prior to printing it.

Customer:

I have a Mac 10.8.5 that is about 10 mths old and up until yesterday ever thing was working fine even if I change the photo to say sepia it still comes out red. I have used the same program I photo , or adobe, and it has been fine up till now

Nathan :

Okay, well with that in mind it is possible that the print driver is corrupted

Nathan :

you can try deleting and then reinstalling the printer,

Nathan :

when reinstalling, you can also try using updated driver files

Nathan :

If that still doesn't help, I'd suggest you double check making a color copy, to be certain the red tint doesn't happen there as well. If it does happen on copies too, or also with prints from another machine, it means that the print head is getting clogged or failing.

Customer:

Ok will do. can I get back to you after I have done all that. Hopefully it with work. Thank you.

Nathan :

No problem at all, take your time.

Nathan :

you can bookmark/favorite this page to get back in touch when ready later on.

Customer:

I have done a head clean and used new cartridges May be the cartridges are at fault ????

Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
Hi Loma,

It is possible the cartridges are bad, but it is more likely some clogged nozzles in the printhead. The head clean function is an automated process and can't fully clean the system. If that didn't help, you can try a manual cleaning, by removing the printhead (it's the carriage that moves back and forth over the paper while printing), and cleaning the underside as well as where the cartridges go using cotton swabs (ear buds) and rubbing alcohol (meths or surgical spirits).

I'm assuming by your thinking the cartridges are bad that the new drivers did not help, and you're also having trouble with the copies, is that correct?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks again, will try the cotton bud clean,

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
You're welcome, let me know how it works out.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi the cotton bud worked fine…..when I had a close look there was a very small part of the protection tag over the Cyan cartridge , I guess I did not remove it as well as I should. Can not belive I have spent the best part of a day trying to solve the problem, thinking it was the h/p. I thank you for your time and patience.

Yes, now I will have a good day.

Loma

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for the update Loma,

I'm so happy to hear it's working again, glad you were able to find the bit of tape, that was a lucky find.

Best regards,