Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a printer lexmark p6250 that needs an encoder strip.

I have a printer lexmark p6250 that needs an encoder strip. Is that available? My printer person says no. Thanks

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the printer,

Nathan :

Unfortunately, because this is such an old printer (circa 2004), it is long discontinued, and parts are no longer available for it.

Nathan :

Typically lexmark only has replacement parts available for about a year after production of any given model, for the consumer grade machines.

Nathan :

You may be able to get by with cleaning your existing encoder strip (swab it with qtips and rubbing alcohol), but if it is physically damaged, torn, creased, etc, then you're pretty much out of luck.

Nathan :

Typically even if the part was available though, it wouldn't be a practical investment. You'd usually be looking at $25-50 for the part and shipping costs,

Nathan :

and you'd still need to pay the labor costs to have it installed (assuming you're having a tech do this),

Nathan :

when you factor those in, and consider you can get a brand new printer, with updated/improved features, and a fresh warranty, for under $100, repairs don't really make sense.

Customer:

The cartridge slams in the printer on return so I guess I am out of luck. Do I understand you right that you expect a printer to just last 1 year on average?

Nathan :

You've only had this printer for a year?

Nathan :

For that symptom (carriage slamming), it can happen just from the encoder strip being dirty, and the cleaning trick I mentioned will often fix that.

Customer:

Since we can't throw printer in trash, what is the best way to get rid of a junk printer? You said you have repair parts available for 1 year so that Is why I said you only expect a printer to last a year. What & where is the encoder strip?

Nathan :

As far as printer life, 1-2 years is pretty typical. To be honest, all consumer grade printers are junk. Some are better than others, but in general any home type ink jet printer is of relatively poor quality, and usually lasts just a few years. The manufacturers don't put much thought into design or reliability, because they make their money off the ink. When the printer inevitably dies, they expect you to buy a new one and move on.

Nathan :

The encoder strip looks like a piece of plastic, at the back of the interior printer compartment,

Nathan :

when the "carriage" moves, the encoder strip rolls along it, and it tells the carriage where it is located within the printer.

Customer:

Well, I understand although that was not the answer I was hoping for. If I have to get rid of the printer, what is the best way to do that?

Nathan :

Most cities have some type of electronics recycling program available, usually a designated collection/drop of point that they offer several times a year.

Nathan :

You can take it to many electronics stores who will provide the same service, check your local best buy, staples, office max, etc

Nathan :

I would at least try cleaning the strip though,

Nathan :

it can't hurt.

Customer:

Thanks for your time

Nathan :

I'll see if I can find you a photo or video that would help you through the cleaning, if you'd like.

Customer:

Yes I would very much.

Nathan :

Sure, just a moment please

Nathan :

These 2 photos illustrate how the encoder strip should be situated (in case it is out of position),

Nathan :

once you locate the strip, you can clean it as I mentioned earlier (power machine off, wipe it down with a soft cloth or qtips and rubbing alcohol

Customer:

Great job Nathan. Thank you so much. You have been most helpful. Have a great day

Nathan :

My pleasure.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a good day,

Customer:

You have earned an excellent. You went the extra mile. That is customer service.

Nathan :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX that.

Nathan :

Also, if by chance the cleaning doesn't help, I'll be happy to recommend some replacement options for you, if you'd like.