Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I cannot get my canon selphy cp900 to print from my iphone

I cannot get my canon selphy cp900 to print from my iphone 5. when i try to set up ad hoc, it says the printer is not connected to the internet. i have a high speed modem right in the same room and don't know how to get the printer set up on the internet.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I'm Nathan and I will be assisting you today. Please remember to rate/accept my answer when we have finished. Thank you.

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Nathan :

unfortunately what you are trying to do is simply not possible.

Nathan :

To print directly from an ios device (iphone, ipad, etc), the printer must be AirPrint capable,

Customer:

why not? I bought this printer because it said i could print pictures from my iphone

Nathan :

the cp900 model does not have native airprint support

Nathan :

there are ways around that

Nathan :

but it is not quite as simple as your thinking.

Nathan :

The other issue is that your iphone isn't going to support an ad hoc wifi connection to the printer

Customer:

ok then how do i print from my phone?

Nathan :

To be able to print, you will need to have both the printer and the iphone connected to the same wifi network (going through your modem/router)

Nathan :

If it was an airprint capable printer, that is all you would need,

Nathan :

since yours is not, you'll have to use a 3rd party app for printing,

Customer:

how do i get my printer connected to wifi

Nathan :

there is a canon printer app you can use, or you can use another service like google cloud print

Customer:

i have downloaded the canon app. still isn't clear

Nathan :

Have you already installed the canon "easy print" photo app?

Nathan :

Do you have a home wifi network?

Customer:

yes it is called Canon iEPP. when i select "detect printer" it doesnt find it. i do have a home wifi and yes it is working

Nathan :

Okay, what you need to do is to go through the setup menu on the printer itself, and connect it to your home wifi network

Nathan :

then, with the iphone on the same wifi network,t he app should be able to find the printer

Nathan :

that isn't an ad hoc setup, that is known as infrastructure wifi

Nathan :

the printer should search for and find your wifi network name (ssid), then prompt you to enter the wifi password

Nathan :

after the printer is on the network, then you should be able to print from the phone

Customer:

ok.

Customer:

what is the encryption key? is it something i make up or is it my wifi password?

Nathan :

That is your wifi password

Nathan :

I'm assuming you know what that password XXXXX but I can help you find it if needed.

Customer:

no I know it, I just messed up on the capitals/lower case. but now it is successful -- "connected to acess point"

Nathan :

Okay good

Customer:

I am trying to print...

Customer:

ok it worked! yay!

Nathan :

Great!

Nathan :

Glad to hear it.

Nathan :

So the network was the missing step then.

Customer:

yup

Nathan :

Sorry about that, had ratings disabled until we could complete our chat. It is open now.

Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.