Richard, Technician
Experience:  AAS Degree in Computer Technology.

MX860 printer with error message. "Paper output slot. The

MX860 printer with error message. "Paper output slot. The paper is jammed. Clear the paper and press OK" Have checked all slots and there is no paper in any slot. Checked all locations per Advanced Operations Manual and can find no paper, but still get same error. One odd thing is that powering on will cause the paper output port to open. This has never occurred before when powering up. Paper output port only opened when first print job was sent over to printer. Can't reset printer and clear it.
Hi. I am Rick and I will be your printer professional.

I would be happy to help you find the cause of your problem.

Can you try this for me and let me know how it goes.

Turn off the printer and then unplug it from the power source.
Now press and hold the power (on/off) button for 1 minute.
Now release the button and plug the printer back in.
Turn it on and see if the error clears.
Let me know how this goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No luck. Still comes up with error message. There is some additional noise (clicking) that is not usual as the printer starts.

OK thanks. That does help. Lets try this and see if it helps.

Remove all ink cartridges and then put each one back in making sure they fit well. Now turn off the printer and then turn it back on. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Had to manually pull out printer head to do what you wanted. Removed and reseated all cartridges. Turned off printer and then turned back on. There is no change with the error message.

Darn. They key to your problem was when you said there was a clicking noise. The clicking noise is a signal that the purge unit is stuck which is causing the gear that drives it to slip. This may have happened because of the waste ink pads coming loose. While this is a repairable part it is a very time consuming job that will cost about $100 to fix, parts and labor. It can be done at a local repair shop or by shipping it back to Canon for the work. If by chance the printer is under a year old Canon will do it under the warranty, otherwise shipping it to them would be even more costly.
I am sorry for the bad news but if you have further questions on this please let me know.