Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware
15197395

I have a Canon MP560 Printer which just displayed an error

I have a Canon MP560 Printer which just displayed an error message 5011.
Is it necessary for me to have to spend $39.99 for a PC Repair Kit to get back operational?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
Thank You!! for posting your Question.My name is XXXXX XXXXX today I will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

I don't know, which repairing kit, you are referring to, because there is no kit, which can solve this problem, we have to try some steps, before we can come to any conclusion. Please turn off the printer, then open the printer cover/top, then power on the printer, wait until the cartridges move back and forth then, go to its resting position (usually right side of the printer), close the cover of the printer and let me know, if you still get the error message or not.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Sudipto,

I turned the printer off and then turned it back on. I could not see the cartridges going back and forth but there was a knocking noise. There was no display of error message.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
Please read my instructions carefully, because I asked you to turn off the printer, then open the printer cover and then turn on the printer again, after the cartridges stop moving, just close the cover and let me know.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I went through exactly as stated with no error message display.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
Can you try to print this page and let me know, if you face any problem or not ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I use another printer to print. I use the canon to scan for emails.

Its when I tried to scan the error message 5011 show up.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
Do you get the error message on the printer or PC ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I get the error message on the Canon MP 560 printer

Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
OK, if you have tried the solution on the Canon printer then, try to scan and let me know .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I tried again. It goes through it's motions to set up then when it starts to scan there is a knocking noise followed by the error message going on. The green light flashes intermittently with the yellow light.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
Can you tell me, from which location, you are hearing the noise ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It sounds like the right rear side of the printer

Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
When you have opened the printer cover and powered on the printer, did you have seen the cartridges are moving or they are jammed in the right side ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The cartridges did not move and are jammed on the right side. When I first turn on the printer the knocking is really loud then it disappears until I try to scan and the knocking reoccurs but not as loud.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the information, the problem you are facing is caused due to the cartridge jam, not because of the scanner. The jam is caused due to the waste ink absorbers, which are located just below the cartridges at the right side of the printer, these are actually piece of sponges, which absorbs waste ink from the cartridges and sometimes these pads pop up from their chambers and block the cartridges, you are getting the error message, while scanning because, when any part of the printer does not function correctly, the sensor related to that parts send wrong signals to the main board and the printer stops all other functions. Please turn off the printer, then try to move the cartridges with your hand and let me know, if you are able to do so or not ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sorry, I had a phone call. The cartridges can move freely back and forth.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
Do you mean, you can move the cartridges with your hand, freely ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Now that the error message is on, I can not move the cartridge from its right position to the left

Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
You missed my instructions, I asked you to power off the printer, then try to move the cartridges with your hand, then if you are able to move them, just slide them to the center of the printer and then power on the printer and let me know, if the cartridges can move automatically to the right side or stays in the same position?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I powered off. I can not move the cartridges from their right position with my hand.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
So, sometimes you are able to move it and sometime not, right ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The only way the cartridge will move is if I power on and that is when the knocking occurs

Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
That means, I am correct the problem is caused due to the waste ink absorbers, actually when we power on the printer, the absorbers are move little bit down and the cartridges can move and when the cartridges are getting back to the resting position the absorber chamber get back to its normal position and the popped up pads block the cartridges, so you hear the knocking sound from the right side of the printer.

Now, this is a hardware error and you have to dismantle the printer to solve the problem. This can be done by the help of a service manual, which I can try to help or you can take the printer to any repair shop, they will take $15 to $20 for the replacement of the pads and reseat them properly, so that they do not block the movement of the cartridges.

Please let me know, what you want to do ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

By the time i start inventing in a repair shop its time to replace it with an updated printer that is not 5 years old. This way i can upgrade to a 11 x 17 size also. thanks for your help.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
5 years for a printer is long time and you are correct, repairing a 5 years old printer will be really a waste of time and money, as the new printers are very cheap. Please reply me back, if you need any help further, otherwise remember to give positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.

Thanks
Sudipto, Engineer
Experience: DIploma in Computer Hardware