Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Color Cartridge in my 5200 AiO printer

Despite putting in a new Color Cartridge in my 5200 AiO printer I am still told that I need to put in a new color cartridge. Nothing is therefore printing. What could be the problem?  I have tried 3 different new   full Color Cartridges and still get the same message.It won't even print with the Black ink altho it tells me that it is full.

Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the kodak,

Nathan :

you mentioned cleaning the printheads, can you tell me how you did that?

Customer:

There is a area on the printer that brings up the Maintance. and gives the option to do Test, Clean Printheads, Align.

Nathan :

Okay, that is what I thought, I just wanted to make sure.

Nathan :

I ask because these symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head. A faulty printhead can also prevent the system from recognizing a functional cartridge.

Nathan :

What you will need to do is remove and manually clean the printhead.

Customer:

OK. How do I do that?

Nathan :

To try manually cleaning the print heads:

Open up the printer, and look for the "carriage" that goes back and forth (on metal rails) over the paper while printing.

You'll remove the cartridges, then clean on the bottom of them (focus on the ink port/hole) as well as inside the carriage using qtips and rubbing alcohol.

If you can, remove the carriage/print head (there will be a small lever at the side/rear of it that lifts up to release) and clean the bottom this way as well. You'll also want to clean the metal contacts/pins at the back (where it makes contact with the carriage), as that may be what is preventing communication with the rest of the printer.

When cleaning the port on the print head that the ink flows into from the cartridge, also try using a qtip to "pump" the liquid down into the port and force it through, which will help to dissolve any clogs.

After all of this swab again with a few dry qtips or give a blast of compressed air to dry everything well, then put it all back together. You can now try to print, or run the automated print head cleaning function in the setup menu. You may have to run a few pages through before everything starts flowing properly again.

Customer:

OK I will try that. If that does not work, what then?

Nathan :

Here is what it looks like to remove the printhead

Nathan :

If none of this helps, then you've got a faulty print head, or the logic board that controls it (about a 50/50 chance either way) which would need to be replaced.

Customer:

Would it just be cheaper to buy a new printer?

Nathan :

Yes, it would, I was just starting to explain that.

Customer:

OK

Nathan :

You can get a new printhead for around $50, but remember it may not solve the problem, and the control board would be hundredes to replace.

Customer:

I will try to clean it as you explained.

Nathan :

So with a new printer being under $100, that is the more practical option for most people.

Nathan :

Okay, let me know how it works out.

Customer:

Thank you for your help

Nathan :

You're very welcome.

Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.