Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have an epson R2880 and am trying to load Velvet fine art

I have an epson R2880 and am trying to load Velvet fine art paper in rear feed. I have read that you need to apply a little pressure to get it to fee through so I have varied the pressure and can get it to catch and feed but each time it simply runs all the way through without printing at all. I have tried letting go the second it catches, turning it off and unplugging it and every thing I can think of to no avail. I have a client waiting for his prints and I have tried at least 75 times, please help! Thanks XXXXX XXXXX
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It sounds as if you might have sent the print job to the printer before paper was put in, or maybe what you are dealing with is the remains of an old print job that did not quite complete. Or, a few other possible causes of this problem. In any case, try the following, step-by-step, and see if it doesn't cure the problem:

Go to Start - Control Panel - Printers, and double-click on the icon representing your printer (whichever one it is.)
That will open a small window, the queue window, in which the print jobs are displayed. You will need to clear all the jobs out of the queue and empty the window, either one-by-one (selecting each and choosing Documents - 'Cancel') or all at once by doing Printer - 'Cancel All Documents'.

Then try a hard reset of your printer:

Turn the printer OFF, when it is on, by suddenly and sharply unplugging it from the power source.
Also unplug it from the computer!
Leave it that way for 10 minutes. (Meanwhile, restart the computer while you are waiting.)
Plug it back in.
Turn it on if it didn't turn itself on. Wait for it to initialize.
Try printing again... load the paper in the rear feed slot first. It ought to load properly this time. Then, after it is loaded, send the print job, *after* being sure, quite sure, that you have the proper paper size, and the proper feed location (Manual Feed, or 'Rear Tray' or 'Rear Feed') selected.

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

tried what you said and got exactly the same result, grabbed paper and sent it all the way through without printing

What are the dimensions of the paper stock you are trying to use?

If you try using normal letter-size / type paper, does the printer do the exact same thing with it? or not?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the dimensions I was trying to use was 19" x 13". I tried using a 8.5" x 11" Velvet paper that would not grab and them regular typing paper that also would not grab on its own.

Your printer evidently has a problem with the rear feeder. It's not the size of the paper at all, since normal sized paper just feeds through.

I suspect that a paper presence sensor is either defective itself, or the circuitry sensing it in the printer's circuit board(s) is defective... either way, the paper, when the printer 'grabs' it, is not sensed as present at first, so it feeds in endlessly... until the printer's inner works detect abnormal paper too far into the printer, whereupon the printer feeds it all the way out as it kind of should.

Your printer will require servicing, unfortunately... unless, looking into the rear feeder, you see a jammed or fouled switch/sensor element that can be unjammed easily. (If the printer is less than a year old, measured from its date of purchase as a new device, then its failure is covered by Epson's 1-year warranty, and Epson ought to fix or replace it for you for free if you put in a claim for failure-within-warranty. Let me know, if this is the case, and I will advise you further.)

I'm sorry to come to this conclusion, it must be a disappointment. But the symptoms are pretty clear. And the reset and queue-clearing you went through should have gotten rid of any sort of rogue print job or odd glitch or temporary condition of the circuits of the printer.

Replacing the printer is another option, of course... it's up to you as to which option to pursue. I can advise you a bit as to either choice, I hope.