Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience:  Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
33155275

canon mpj250 printer shows alarm and one prompt with maintenance

canon mpj250 printer shows alarm and one prompt with maintenance selection, shows paper jam, however no paper is showing. Put in new black inkjet and have rechecked to see if put in correctly and appears it is
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Please open the printer cover and let me know, if the cartridges can move to the replacement position or seems to be jammed ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it does not move

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is not moving. it shows alarm 3

Please turn off the printer, then try to slide the cartridges with your hand and let me know, if you are able to slide them or not ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when I pull the white ribbon it comes out and now in middle of printer.

Do not pull that cable, now if the cartridges are in the center, power on the printer and let me know, if it moves to any side or stays in the same place ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it moves out and then back to the right side

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it did move, however, the alarm came back on with error 3

Now for the last time, close the printer cover, if it is open, then power off the printer, wait for 10 secs. then power on the printer and open the printer cover, let me know, if the cartridges can move to the center automatically or not ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it does and did before,but does not stop at center, but goes to the right side

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it did go all the way across to left side then back to the right side, not sure I made that clear.

Thanks for the update, before I can give you the answer, I have to explain the process of printing, every printer have many sensors installed in it, which send signals to the main board and then the main board operate the spares, like printhead, cartridges etc, according to that. When any sensor send wrong or false signal to the main board, the printer display false error messages, in your case the problem is with the paper jam sensor, it can be defective or damaged and due to this reason, it is sending wrong signals to the main board and the printer is displaying false error message.

I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope. As the problem is with the sensor, it is not possible to solve the problem, without the correct schematic of the printer and unfortunately it is not available , except the repair shops. This problem can be solved for $30 to $40, if the sensor is available,otherwise the cost will be more than the price of a new or refurbished printers.

You can get a refurbished printer for $60 to $80 with full one year warranty.

Now, as you have only replaced the cartridges to solve the problem, there are few more steps, that you can try and if these steps does not solve the problem, then you have to repair the printer.

Make sure of the following:
  • Check 1: Are there any foreign objects around the Paper Output Slot?

• Check 2: Are there any foreign objects in the Rear Tray?

*Exterior appearance varies by model

If there are any foreign objects in the Rear Tray, be sure to turn off the machine, unplug it from the power supply, then remove the foreign object.

*Exterior appearance varies by model

Now, you are the owner and you have to decide, what you want to do finally.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know…

Please press the Accept Button(and the Smiley Face if prompted ) if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you. Pressing Accept does not cost you any more, and only by you pressing accept am I compensated. Please don’t leave negative feedback, If something isn’t working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

one more concern I have is I was using the scan button prior to the problem with running out of ink, now I cannot get response form the start button, color button or the stop/reset button, etc, Is there any way to reset the printer to default mode?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

one more thought when I turn the printer on, the light for scanner turns on automatically. Is that normal.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did not get answer to my last questions? why

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

still waiting

Sorry for the late reply, no it is not normal, something can be short inside the printer.