Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

a stuck doc in the print queue will not delete. have tried: -

a stuck doc in the print queue will not delete.

have tried:

- cancelling every way possible
- unstalling/reinstalling
- stop/start print spooler
- worked w/ IT professional
- worked w/ Dell support

Now have 2 copies of the printer installed. The original will not uninstall and print job that is hung is stopping all printing.
Category: Printers
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 1 year ago.

DrKlahn :

Thanks for using JustAnswer, the internet's independent site for Q&A consulting. I'm "DrKlahn," and I'd like to help you with this question.

DrKlahn :

Notice / disclosure: JustAnswer is an independent Q&A service not supported by or affiliated with any equipment or software manufacturer. The "9 second" ad does not mean questions are answered in 9 seconds - it means about 400 questions are answered per hour.

DrKlahn :

Please send me a short message when you're online and ready to begin.

Customer:

have a print job stuck in the queue. have tried every possible way to delete including:

Customer:

- stop/starting print spooler

Customer:

- uninstall/reinstall

Customer:

- worked w/ IT rep

Customer:

- worked w/ Dell support

Customer:

now have 2 versions of the printer installed. original will not delete completely and original print job remains stuck.

DrKlahn :

This is certainly a thorny problem, and I am not sure how well we will be able to do with it, but I have some things to try if you would like to give them a shot.

DrKlahn :

Do you have about 30 minutes to explore some possibilities?

Customer:

sure

DrKlahn :

OK. The first thing we need to do is enable the display of hidden and system files on the system, so that we can look at some things that are normally hidden.

DrKlahn :

I assume that the problem system is running Windows 7?

Customer:

k

Customer:

correct

DrKlahn :

OK. Please bear with me a moment as the procedure I have written down is for XP and Vista, and I have not worked one up for W7 as yet.

DrKlahn :

Is the problem system at hand, and are you logged into it using an account with Administrator privilege?

Customer:

although I should have administrative privilege, I don't seem to. this system is only a week old so don't know what the problem is.

DrKlahn :

If you are the only user of the system you should have Admin privileges. However, ever since Vista, Microsoft has made it harder to assume Admin privileges permanently. Most things now must be done on a one-off basis using "Run as Administrator."

DrKlahn :

So I suspect that you have Admin privilege, it is just not on all the time.

Customer:

suggestion on what I need to do ?

DrKlahn :

Click on the Start button, then click on the Control Panel option.

Customer:

k

DrKlahn :

When Control Panel opens, you should see a series of options. One of them is Appearance and Personalization

DrKlahn :

Click on that one.

Customer:

got it

DrKlahn :

Somewhere on the new window should be Folder Options

Customer:

got it

DrKlahn :

Click on the link below that which says "Show hidden files and folders"

Customer:

I assume "show all folders" is the same?

DrKlahn :

No, it should specifically say "Show hidden files and folders"

DrKlahn :

Full Size Image

Customer:

found it on the "view" tab

DrKlahn :

(click anywhere on the image above to see it at full size)

DrKlahn :

Good. You should now have a long list of checkboxes and radio buttons.

DrKlahn :

Click the radio button labeled "Show hidden files, folders, and drives."

Customer:

I just have the screen for advanced settings that allows the radio button for hidden files ... is that what you mean?

DrKlahn :

That's the one.

Customer:

got it

DrKlahn :

Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.

DrKlahn :

Also: Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).

Customer:

done

DrKlahn :

Now click Apply, then click OK.

Customer:

done

DrKlahn :

This allows Windows Explorer to show all files ... well, nearly all files on the system. There are still "super hidden" files, but we will not be involved with any of those.

DrKlahn :

Now click Start, then type Command.

Customer:

don

Customer:

done

DrKlahn :

Right click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator."

Customer:

done

DrKlahn :

You should now have a black legacy DOS command box showing.

Customer:

correct

DrKlahn :

Do you see that?

DrKlahn :

Good. Click anywhere in the DOS box and enter

DrKlahn :

cd %systemroot%\System32\spool\printers

Customer:

have system 32 prompt

DrKlahn :

and press Enter.

DrKlahn :

then enter

DrKlahn :

dir

DrKlahn :

and press Enter.

DrKlahn :

Does the system report any files in this directory, or is it empty?

Customer:

access is denied

DrKlahn :

Interesting. This should not be possible when running as Administrator.

DrKlahn :

Enter

Customer:

welcome to my world ... i'm 5 weeks into computer issues that caused a new system ... now this !!

DrKlahn :

attrib -s -h -r *.*

DrKlahn :

and press Enter.

DrKlahn :

Then type dir again and press Enter.

DrKlahn :

This time the directory command should execute.

Customer:

got a string of access denied

Customer:

do I need to go back to dell to get this fixed?

DrKlahn :

Well, normally I would attack this problem from DOS, but perhaps we can get a look at it from Windows Explorer.

Customer:

sorry ... I didn't see the "dir" issue ... looks like it worked this tie.

Customer:

time.

DrKlahn :

Good. Do you see anything?

Customer:

2662 files

DrKlahn :

Good lord.

Customer:

93 dir

DrKlahn :

93 subdirectories under the Printers folder?

DrKlahn :

Let's confirm that DOS is looking in the right folder.

Customer:

I don't see "printer" anywhere on the list

DrKlahn :

Enter cd and press Enter, and let me know what the system responds with.

DrKlahn :

It should respond with: C:\Windows\System32\spool\printers

Customer:

nope ... stops at system 32

DrKlahn :

OK. Type cd spool and press Enter.

Customer:

need to start again?

Customer:

done

DrKlahn :

type cd printers and press Enter.

Customer:

access is denie

DrKlahn :

Then type dir and press Enter.

Customer:

denied

DrKlahn :

When you typed cd printers it responded "Access is denied"?

Customer:

correct

DrKlahn :

OK. Type cd and press Enter. Let me know what it responds with.

Customer:

still at the spool prompt ... type cd?

DrKlahn :

Correct.

Customer:

repeated the spool prompt twice

DrKlahn :

Good. We are one folder away from where we need to be. Type attrib -s -h -r *.* and press Enter.

Customer:

also above that got dirs. under spool

Customer:

are there blank spaces in this string?

DrKlahn :

Yes. attrib (blank) -s (blank) -h (blank) -r (blank) *.*

Customer:

that's what I thought ... response: file not found - *.*

DrKlahn :

Please bear with me a moment while I simulate this on my system.

Customer:

np

DrKlahn :

Enter attrib (blank) -s (blank) -h (blank) -r (blank) printers and press Enter.

Customer:

still at the spool prompt?

DrKlahn :

Correct.

Customer:

back to the spool prompt

DrKlahn :

Now type cd printers and press Enter.

Customer:

access is denied

DrKlahn :

Hmm. The protections on this folder are set very strongly. Let's see if we can get a look at it from Windows.

DrKlahn :

Go to My Computer or start up Windows Explorer, whichever you prefer.

Customer:

close the admin window?

DrKlahn :

Yes. Anything from this point out would be impractically complex.

DrKlahn :

Navigate to the C: drive, then to the Windows folder, then to the System32 folder, then to the Spool folder.

DrKlahn :

Does the system show a list of subfolders in the Spool folder?

Customer:

windows can't open this file .... spools.dll

Customer:

spoolss.dll

DrKlahn :

Does it show a Printers subfolder?

Customer:

window closed ... i'll reopen

Customer:

shows: spoolss.dll and spoolsv.exe .... there are no folders above that identify as printer ... just a print.exe

DrKlahn :

Well, this is very peculiar. Under Windows 7, the spool file folder is supposed to be located in C:\Windows\\System32\spool\printers

Customer:

it may be in spool ... but it won't let me in.

DrKlahn :

The usual solution for this problem is to stop the spooler from DOS mode, then destroy everything in the spool directory, then restart the spooler. There is no way that anything can remain stuck in the spool queue when the queue files are deleted.

Customer:

the message box says that I can't open the dll and asks me what program to open with

Customer:

I've tried to stop and restart the spool but whatever I did didn't work

DrKlahn :

OK. There is a significant permissions problem coming into play here. I can describe what needs to be done, but it is unfortunately too complicated for me to walk you through resetting the permissions.

Customer:

I understand

Customer:

is there something dell needs to do to help w/ this access?

DrKlahn :

The procedure is: Take ownership of, or add yourself to the access control list of the Spool folder, this will then give you access to the contents of Spool. Then take ownership of, or add yourself to the access control list of the Printers folder. This will give you access to the queue files.

DrKlahn :

Then stop the spooler from DOS, delete everything in the Printers folder including subfolders and hidden and system files, and then restart the spooler.

DrKlahn :

You may need to restore the printer queues after doing that ...

Customer:

any suggestion on what I can do to accomplish?

DrKlahn :

One of our experts who uses the Remote Access facility might be able to do this for you, if you were willing to give them access to your system. You would need a senior expert who has seen this stuff before and can accomplish it without damaging the system.

Customer:

NP for me

DrKlahn :

Would you like me to bow out so that the other experts can have a look at the problem?

Customer:

would appreciate any help.

DrKlahn :

OK. I am going to "opt out" which will put the question back into the available list. Given that we are all looking for questions, another expert should pick it up shortly. Have them read the transcript so far, and ask (a) if they use Remote Access, and (b) if they can do the access changes on the spool folders so that the problem can be addressed. If so, you have a reasonable chance of being able to get the problem fixed.

DrKlahn :

Will that be acceptable?

Customer:

just for clarification ... will there be an additional/another charge?

DrKlahn :

There will be no charge at all unless and until you decide to accept an expert's service as an Answer. I have locked the Rating panel so that this can not happen accidentally. The next expert will need to unlock the Rating panel before you can close and accept an answer.

Customer:

I appreciate the help ... do I just need to hang here?

DrKlahn :

When I opt out, this session window will go idle. You can either close this window and return to the "waiting area", or wait for an email notification that the question has been picked up by the new expert. Then continue on with the next expert.

DrKlahn :

Do you have any questions at this point? Do not hesitate to ask.

Customer:

cool .. will just wait here ...

Customer:

appreciate the help ...

DrKlahn :

It is my pleasure to help, though I am sorry that we can't get an immediate solution. I believe that the approach I've outlined above will solve the problem, though I am somewhat baffled as to why one of the previous people called in on the problem didn't see this. Well, for all I know perhaps they did and the problem is tougher than I think it is. However, without being able to see into the spool folders there's no way to know.

Customer:

I understand ... it's frustrating on both ends !!

DrKlahn :

Thanks for using JustAnswer today, and I wish you a quick and satisfactory solution to this problem. I will now release your question and opt out.

DrKlahn :

(note 14:50 18-Oct-2013 -- Opt out to allow continuation by an expert with Remote Access.)

Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed printer and computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Can you please click on the website below, and allow the ScreenConnect remote program to run, then we can chat, and I will be able to help you directly:

http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=0633ef00-d52d-4574-8cc0-15a8d41c2ee7

Thank you
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.

starting and stopping the print spooler should get rid of anything in the queue. If you were able to do that correctly and it did not get rid of it you should just delete the printer and re install it from the original cd or I can get you a download. Every printer has its own queue so when you re install it, it should not be possible to keep the old job

I have resolved the issue via remote support. If you need anything else later, please let me know any time. Please rate my service below. Thank you very much.
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience: Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.