Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience:  Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
33155275

I have a Canon MX882 that has worked great until couple of

I have a Canon MX882 that has worked great until couple of days ago. All the ink cartridges are fine, but is only prints 10% or less...acts like it is out of ink??, I have changed cartridges but it does not help...I need it badly to be working !
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 11 months ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Do you have tried anything else, except replacing the cartridges, to solve the problem ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

That's all I have tried...

Can you make a copy of any document, instead of printing from the PC and let me know, if the copied document printed fine or it is also printed the 10% ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Copy is bad also...

Thanks John for the updates, now the problem you are facing can be caused due to three reasons, one the cartridges, two the printhead and three the encoder or timing strip, as you have already replaced the ink cartridges without any positive result, then it can be the strip or printhead, first we will try to clean the encoder strip, following the steps below and if the problem persist, then you have to clean the printhead using the internal process as well as manually, if still the problem persist, then you have to replace the printhead.

Remember these steps are generally used by professionals, so please very careful, when you follow the steps, because if you cannot perform it carefully, then strip can get loose and make the problem worse.

Turn on the unit, then open the print carriage access door. The print carriage moves to the center of the unit. Then look for the encoder strip. It is a semi-transparent or clear plastic strip like the sample image below.

graphic

How to clean the encoder strip.

1. With the printer on, open the top cover to allow the print cartridge cradle to move to the center of the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the printer.

3. Slide the cradle to the far-left position.

4. Identify the semi-clear mylar encoder strip, located just behind the round, metal, cradle rod.

CAUTION: When pulling the cloth along the encoder strip in Step 5, grasp the strip gently, to ensure that the strip does not break. Pull the cloth in a right-to-left direction.

5. Moisten a clean cloth or tissue with water, then gently grasp the strip between the thumb and forefinger, and carefully pull the moistened cloth along the entire length of the strip in a right-to-left direction. Repeat this step with a different portion of the cloth to ensure that all foreign matter is removed.

6. Move the cradle to the far-left position and repeat Step 5 on the right side of the encoder strip, beginning as far right as possible. Again, gently pull the cloth in a right-to-left direction.

7. Allow the encoder strip to dry, or gently dry the encoder strip with a clean, dry cloth or tissue.

8. Position the cradle near the center, and then plug the power cord into the printer.

9. Close the top cover to allow the print cartridge cradle to move back to the right of the printer.

10. Print a self-test to ensure, that the printer is functioning properly.

If the problem persist, then open the link below and follow the steps to clean the printhead, using the automated process of the printer.

http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system

If still the problem persist, then follow the steps below to remove the printhead from the printer, then open this LINK and follow the steps to clean the printhead manually.

1. Make sure that the power is turned on, and open the Paper Output Tray gently

2. Lift the Scanning Unit (Cover), then hold it open with the Scanning Unit Support (A). (The print head will move to the replacement position.)

3. Remove all the Ink Tanks in the following manner.
    1. Push the tab (B) and lift the ink tank to remove.
    2. Do not touch the Print Head Lock Lever (C).

4. Raise the print head lock lever.
  5. Tilt the print head slightly towards the front of the machine and lift out gently.

Print head nozzles <1> , electrical contacts <2>, or ink supply ports <3>.

*Before proceeding to next step, check the carriage area for packing material, torn paper, etc. and remove if found

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know…

Please press the Accept Button(and the Smiley Face if prompted ) if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you. Pressing Accept does not cost you any more, and only by you pressing accept am I compensated. Please don’t leave negative feedback, If something isn’t working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you thank you ! I cleaned the encoder strip and it is now working fine ! You made my day ! I know you likely can't tell me where you are located, but I would guess either India or Philippines.... I have been to both countries and love the people ! Have a great day helping more people ! God bless you. John

Thanks You John for the over whelming response and yes your guess is right, I am from India and thank you very much for using our services. Please remember to give rating for my service.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

You did great ! I will be making my 5th trip to India next March. I go to Kolkata, Bangalore and also Anantapur. I am involved with Missions work. We have some great friends in India !

That's Great!!, I am from Kolkata and please remember to give rating here
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience: Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing