Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I hate this Epson workforce 545 printer!!!! It is next to

Customer Question

I hate this Epson workforce 545 printer!!!! It is next to impossible to reload paper. It just keeps saying "paper jam/out of paper". I've tried everything, and nothing works twice. There is never a paper jam. When the printer runs out of paper, it is an ordeal to get it going again. This has been a consistent difficulty ever since I purchased it new a few months ago. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What sort of paper are you using in the printer?

Has the printer ever had a really bad paper jam, possibly at the beginning of this persistent 'paper jam' message problem?

Has the printer had, ever, a period of working OK? if so, were you using different paper then, than what you are now?

It is possible that you have a defective printer, it is true. But please answer the questions above, first, in order that I may rule out other possible causes of the problem. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am using Staples multipurpose paper 96/20. I had one paper jam but this problem started before that happened. If I work with it for 30 minutes or so trying everything it will usually start to print. It works until the paper runs out and the whole process must be repeated.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
You might want to try a better type of paper for your printer... it may be that this model is somewhat choosy about what paper it works with.

But: if the problem really shows up when there is no paper of any kind in the printer... then that's a problem in the printer itself, of course.

So: is it that the printer refuses to take up a new stack of paper in the paper tray?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, after the tray runs out of paper, I have to practically stand on my head to get it to start again when I insert new paper. If it decides to pick up the paper, it will saying printing and work until the paper runs out again. It takes about 10 or 12 times of getting the same "out of paper/paper jam" message before it will pick up the first sheet.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If you are sure that you are loading the paper correctly - If you are sure that the paper is not over 250 sheets per paper stack / new loading of paper - If you are sure that's that... then the printer is somewhat defective.

Did it do this sort of thing even from the beginning? that's the last question, before we can safely assume that the printer is defective and deserves returning to the manufacturer for repair or exchange (as the manufacturer's warranty terms dictate, or as Epson pleases.)

You see, if it took some time to develop this behavior about loading a new paper stack, then it might have dirty or linty paper pickup rollers.

Let me know. I will have further advice for a complete Answer, once I have the information requested above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The problem began within weeks of purchasing the printer. If the paper pickup rollers are dirty, they got dirty quickly. How do you clean them? It would be worth a try. I can never put the full amount of paper in the tray. It just won't work with a lot of paper in it. I can only fill it about half full. The paper tray seems very cheap to me, and doesn't seem to hold the paper securely. I have to constantly work with the position of it. I thought there might be some common problem with this type of printer.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If the paper pickup rollers have been wiped off, over all their paper-contacting surfaces, with a clean high-quality lint-free rag cloth... without any effect on the problem, then it may be presumed to be a defective printer.

Epson USA should be contacted about the problem in that case:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/AboutContactUs.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

- the link, to Locate an Epson Authorized Service Center, at the lower left of the page, should be useful. And/or/also the phone #, perhaps: (NNN) NNN-NNNN

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where are the paper pickup rollers? How do I get to them to clean them?

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
You take out the paper tray, first of all, as shown:

graphic

and then, reaching into the printer with the moistened cloth (I forgot to mention that the cloth should be moistened with rubbing alcohol), where the paper tray was, wipe off the rubber or plastic rollers that you may see if you look into the printer.
This may be hard to do, if you have large hands or find it awkward in any other way.

But this sort of cleaning... not just a dab, but wiping the roller(s) firmly, all over their paper-contacting surfaces, three times over... may help with the problem!

Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I think I figured something out about this printer. If I get frustrated and just push the reloaded paper tray back into the printer, it works. If I carefully slide it in, it does not work. I am guessing it is something about the way the paper slides forward in the tray. Maybe it has to do so for the paper pick up rollers to engage. Pass this valuable information along if it might help someone else. =) Thank you for your time, Karla Tullos

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
There may be something wrong with the paper tray, too. Jolting it into place may get the far end (inside the printer) slightly farther upward than otherwise, making the paper pickup rollers capable of swiffing the paper off the stack.

Or, the spring in the paper tray (that keeps the paper stack up against the paper pickup rollers even as the paper stack gets thinner and thinner) may not be so good any more, and only un-spring if it is jolted... that's something to check on.

Thanks - and good luck with the printer.

Thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com. Feel welcome to stop back anytime to ask any other question you may need to ask an Expert in any one of our numerous categories.