Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

My HP laserprinter 2550 worked fine for years with my Imac

My HP laserprinter 2550 worked fine for years with my Imac and laptops. Now I have to switch off and on the printer every time I want to make a print. Is there a software update for this problem?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Shefin :
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.
Shefin :
Please let me know when you are ready.
Customer:

I am ready

Shefin :

Are you experiencing this issue with your Mac OS X based computer only?

Customer:

My internet connection is very bad currently so it takes sometimes a while before it gets through, Peter

Shefin :

Customer:

No we use one Imac OSx and two laptops, the laptos work on Lion the Imac on an older system

Customer:

The printer works bad with all three computers

Shefin :

Is the printer using a wireless connection?

Customer:

No it is connected with a cable, wireless is not possible with that type printer

Shefin :

It is connected by a cable from to your computer?

Customer:

yes

Shefin :

Alright.

Shefin :
Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
Customer:

ok

Shefin :
Choose Print & Fax (or Print & Scan) from the View menu.
Customer:

done

Shefin :
Hold down the Option (Alt) key on your keyboard while clicking the "-" (minus sign that you see on the print & scan window, not on the keyboard) button. Then, choose Reset Printing System.
Customer:

is it safe to delete? don't know if I have the original disc?

Shefin :

That is Okay.

Shefin :

Please do that, I will help you install it.

Customer:

Done

Shefin :
Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.
Customer:

no printers show up in the menu

Shefin :

Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer.

Customer:

I choose HP IP printing but nothing comes up, do I need to swtch the printer on?

Shefin :

Yes.

Shefin :

Sure.

Customer:

which menu do I choose in the top of the menu?

Shefin :

Menu means??

Customer:

Can it be that the printer installed itself again, it is back in the print& fax menu?

Shefin :

That is okay. try printing again.

Customer:

One second I will try

Shefin :

Okay.

Customer:

it works, can it be that it is that simple?

Shefin :

It is a trick resetting the printing system.

Shefin :

If the issue is with the printer and the computer connection, it will resolve the issue.

Customer:

Can I get back to you when it appears to happen shortly again.

Shefin :

However, it will not work, if the issue is with the cable, or any hardware issues.

Shefin :

Sure.

Shefin :
Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime.
Shefin :
I request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face once you have all the information you need.
Shefin :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Customer:

How can I get in touch with you, because for the moment I think it is working

Shefin :

Customer:

I will add this to my bookmarks. Thank you . How do I rate your service as Good service?

Shefin :

Please click the EXCELLENT smiley face.

Shefin :

Or Good smiley face

Experience: Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.