Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

How to remove black lines that run full length of page when

How to remove black lines that run full length of page when making a copy it is along 1 edge
of page

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.

I am going to guess you are using a scanner with an automatic document feeder.

when you use the ADF the scanning part does not run across the glass to scan. Instead the scanner stays in one place and the paper goes past it in the adf. it only scans through one very small section as the paper goes past it.

What that means is there is one little spot in that section in roughly the same place as the line is from left to right. The scan goes down it and that tiny spot gets reproduced all the way down the page making a black line out of what was only a very small spot on the glass.

In other words a good cleaning of the section of the glass where the adf passes the page through should clear up the copy.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not have any cleaner right now so I will bring some and try it and see

if that does solve the problem. Then I will be able to give a rating that

I will be satisfied with.

well let me know either way but I guessed right on the adf didn't I ? I have had half a dozen of these and that is what it was every time.

but if it does not work please just let me know or if you cant find the proper place to clean. I will continue to work with you until we find the problem even if it is something different.