Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

Ive got a Canon Pixma MP750 that has worked perfectly for

I've got a Canon Pixma MP750 that has worked perfectly for years. Yesterday I got a "wrong cartridge" on the LCD screen. I had not changed any cartridges. Here's what I tried to fix it:
Hit the OK button many times.
Turned the printer off for 30 seconds and turned back on many times.
Unplugged the printer for 30 seconds and plugged back in many times.
Changed all of the ink cartridges using Canon brand with correct model numbers.
Removed ink cartidges and print head and cleaned off excess ink.

Also the LCD display does not show full ink cartridges for the new Canon cartrideges I installed but it does show up on the PC screen Status Monitor.

So I'm stuck and could use some suggestions.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Shefin :
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.
Shefin :
Please let me know when you are ready.
Customer:

Please go ahead.

Shefin :

Usually, a wrong cartrdige means the printhead error.

Shefin :

Could you please remove the printhead once again and clean it thoroughly?

Shefin :

Clean the place where the printhead seats too.

Shefin :

The error shows either the print head is not installed correctly or it is damaged.

Shefin :

Have you done that?

Customer:

I have removed and cleaned excess ink from the printhead again but this time I cleaned the seat for it as well and put it all back together. Everything clicks when you get it in the right place so I'm sure it is installed properly. I'm going to unplug the printer for a minute and I'll let you know what happens.

Shefin :

Okay.

Customer:

No change. Still get the "wrong cartridge" display.

Shefin :

If so, you have to change the printhead in order to get the issue resolved.

Shefin :

Is the printer too old?

Customer:

I'm told that it was made in 2004 and Canon only stocks parts for 8 years - Yes too old.

Shefin :

If so, it is better to get a new printer than replacing the printhead.

Shefin :
I understand that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.
Shefin :

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Customer:

Can you recommend an on-line used parts store that may have a printhead available?

Shefin :

Let me check.

Shefin :

I would suggest you get a new printer than replacing the printhead.

Customer:

Why?

Shefin :

Since it is eight years old, there may be another issue comes up.

Shefin :

You have to pay more than US $75 to get the printhead .

Shefin :

So, add some more and get a new printer instead.

Customer:

What brand to you recommend for a printer/scanner/copier? Which provides the most reliable service?

Shefin :

I apologize that I cannot suggest you any specific brand or printer.

Shefin :

However, Canon, HP and Epson are good.

Customer:

So is 8 years about all you can expect for the life of any printer?

Shefin :

Yes. It is more than good that is why you got 8 years.

Customer:

OK then. Thanks for the advice.

Shefin :

You are most welcome!

Shefin :
I request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face once you have all the information you need.
Shefin :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Experience: Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.