Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics engineer with 7+ years of experience in repairing office equipments & printers
22727371

i have an hp office jet 8600 - my scanner puts a line down

i have an hp office jet 8600 - my scanner puts a line down the middle of the documents i scan in - how do i fix that?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with the best answer possible.

Did you clean the automatic document feeder (ADF) scanner glass and scanner lid ?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, not the ADF, just the scanner glass (and not the lid...)

Please clean all the three and also perform a visual inspection in the glass and tell me if you see any of the following recurring culprits:

-Clear adhesive tape
-Glue
-Ink pen
-Paper
-Marker
-White out
-Staples
-Environmental dust or dirt

Thank yo
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

New clue: given your question, i just scanned something without using the ADF (just put it directly on the scanning glass and closed the lid) --> it scanned in WITHOUT the "line" - in other words, a clean scan. So it must be the ADF, right?

Yes, absolutely.

That's the reason I told you to clean the ADF.

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So how do i clean the ADF - is there a way to open it up?

Please follow this link to get the instructions on cleaning the ADF, lid etc : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02881567&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=4323648

Please don't rate until your problem is solved.

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, got it!

It ended up being a piece of the packing plastic stuck at the edge of the scanning glass - got it cleaned out, and no more line!!!

thanks!

Glad to hear that your problem is solved :)

Please rate the above answer to close this question.

Thank you for using JustAnswer; it's been my pleasure to serve you today. We'll hope to see you again in the future.

Regards