Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.

On my Lexmark Pinnacle Pro901 printer the screen is showing

Customer Question

On my Lexmark Pinnacle Pro901 printer the screen is showing "Magenta Cartridge Missing". Is there any way to override that message and just print with black ink? Note: the magenta cartridge is properly in place and not missing but probably low on ink. Over 2+ years, I've almost never printed with color ink. Am I forced to buy a magenta cartridge in order to do black ink only printing? Suggestions much appreciated!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

Shefin :
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.
Shefin :
Please let me know when you are ready.
Customer :

Ready.

Shefin :
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Customer :

Done.

Shefin :
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself. Inside means the printhead where the cartrdige seats.
Shefin :
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
Customer :

Okay.

Shefin :
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.
Shefin :
Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 5 minutes.
Shefin :

Then, restart the printer and plug in the cartrdiges and cables.

Customer :

Plug in the cartridges?

Shefin :

Insert the cartrdiges, and plug in the cables.

Customer :

Before or after I unplug the printer?

Shefin :

After plugging the printer.

Customer :

Turn off the machine for 5 mins with cartridges out?

Shefin :

The cartrdiges are out. Right?

Customer :

right

Shefin :

Now, unplug the cables too and wait for five minutes.

Customer :

okay

Shefin :

After five minutes, plugin the cables.

Shefin :

Then, insert the cartrdiges.

Customer :

okay

Customer :

still says magenta cartridge missing

Shefin :

Please wait a minute.

Shefin :

Remove the Mageta cartrdige.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

it's out

Shefin :

Press OK button on your printer and try printing without the cartridge.

Customer :

won't let me print w/o magenta cartridge installed

Shefin :

Please remove all the cartridges and the the printhead too.

Customer :

ok

Shefin :

Remove the cartrdiges, and lift the printhead latch to remove it.

Customer :

how do you get the printhead out?

Shefin :

Customer :

Not able to see "printhead latch" to lift and remove it.

Shefin :

Make sure the printer is ON.

Shefin :

From the printer control panel, press the Setup button > Maintenance > Replace Printhead, or for Touchscreen panels, touch Ink Menu > More Options > Replace Printhead.

Shefin :

Open the printer cover.

Shefin :

Press the tab, and lift the latch.

Shefin :

Pull up to remove the printhead.

Customer :

it's out

Shefin :

Clean the printhead thoroughly.

Shefin :

Clean the place where it seats too.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

ok...same message

Customer :

:(

Shefin :

If so, the issue is with the printhead.

Customer :

ok

Shefin :

You may have to replace the printhead in order to get it resolved.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

thanks for your help

Shefin :
Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.
Shefin :
I understand that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.
Shefin :

Please do not rate me Poor or Bad.

Customer :

Yes, I know that. Not to worry. Thanks again. It's not your fault!

Shefin :

Before you replace the printhead, try replacing the cartrdiges too.

Customer :

will do.

Shefin :

It may happen because of the cartrdige or the printhead.

Customer :

I understand.

Shefin :

So, first replace the color cartrdige and if the issue persists, replace the printhead.

Shefin :

Thank you for your patience with me.

Customer :

Got it. Thanks!

Shefin :

You are most welcome!

Experience: Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Refund please as my problem did not get solved. Lexmark printers are notorious for their cartridges and cartridge chips which limit/misread ink levels. My question was when the printer screen indicates "color cartridge missing" (but no cartridges are missing) and the printer will not print at all -- Is there anyway to override message and just print with black ink? Please review my original inquiry above.

P.S. Also, the way your services are described, I thought that somebody there at JustAnswer familiar re Lexmark printers would be consulted to answer my specific Lexmark printer question. My Expert was generally fine but not in tune with or knowledgeable about my specific question.

Expert:  Shefin replied 8 months ago.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. Unfortunately, you cannot change it at all. It is programmed for good inside control chip of printer. This program is called firmware and cannot be alternate by user at all. The reason is about safety of printhead. The printer needs all of the cartridges with sufficient ink levels in order to prevent damaging the printhead. Every time a cartridge is replaced, all colors are primed simultaneously thus the need for all cartridges to have ink.

That is why I suggested to try changing the cartridge and if the issue persists, the printhead itself. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Thank you.
S H E F I N