Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

My Epson WF-2540 wont print black. I have even tried changing

Customer Question

My Epson WF-2540 won't print black. I have even tried changing other colours (even though all other colours print okay), but nothing is working. It is approx. 1 year old, and has been working fine until this happened.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.

Take the cartridge out and shake it and make sure that you have removed the tape that was used in shipping to keep it from leaking.

Cartridges do come defective a lot more often then you might expect so trying another new one is not a bad idea.

There should also be a cleaning routine that you can try. It is missing from the Epson site for this printer but usually it will either be in the print driver

devices and printers / right click on the printer select PRINTER PROPERTIES / advanced or maintenance tab

or it will be in a diagnostic program on start menu all program under epson

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have replaced the cartridge twice - 2 different cartridges. I have cleaned the cartridges, as you have indicated above. I have even changed out another coloured cartridge that was getting a bit low, just in case, but that had no effect. All other colours are printing, but the black will not print at all. The cartridge I was using when the trouble arose was put in the printer about 2 or 3 days prior to the issue.

Any further ideas?

probably a bad print head for the black.

You can try cleaning it a few times and wait 6 hours and try again as per Epson

http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/wf2540/wf2540ug/printers/source/ink_functions/tasks/cleaning_head_utility.html

If it is a bad printhead its probably not worth fixing on that printer. list price is under $100 bucks and you can probably get a comparable one for under 50 in walmart. Its just not really worth the effort.

there is a video on how to do it on this link though I believe the actual objective in the video is to replace it with a continuous ink system instead of cartridges. But the part where you take the printhead out should be the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqgMbUavyM

I don't actually see where they sell one for that model but you might be able to get one from Epson. But again my recommendation is its not worth fixing when you can buy a new printer for almost the same money

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks, Robert. I was afraid of that. Was really hoping for a fix. Cry

Appreciate the advice.

sorry but from here it looks like a print head issue. if their cleaning wont work you can take the print head off and clean it yourself in warm water with a mild detergent. But really botXXXXX XXXXXne is those types of printers are disposable. They get sold at just above cost and the company's make money selling the ink for them. When they break you usually just toss them out and buy another one.
Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi again Robert. Not sure if you can help with this, but if not please give me a contact that can. I have been double charged for your services on my credit card. Should have been a total of $28, and I was charged $5 on Oct. 12, $23 on Oct 12 and then $28 on Oct. 19.

Would appreciate your advise on how to correct this. Thanks!

Expert:  Robert M. replied 8 months ago.

You would have to email support@justanswer.com and they will deal with all billing issues.

I hope that you will tell them that you do want me to be paid for the answer but of course you should not be double charged.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks so much Robert. Will be sure to do that.

thank you.