DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Engineer
Experience:  BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.
63151004

Freddy M.Hi i would like to ask about canon printer pixma ip4940

Freddy M.Hi i would like to ask about canon printer pixma ip4940 it gives error 5b00,i know what to do but,after going to service mod ,and using the service tool ,and after pushing the main button it says printer not responding,is it possible that ip 4940 has a different service tool than ip 4840?
Category: Printers
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 1 year ago.

DrKlahn :

Please send me a short message when you're online and ready to begin.

DrKlahn :

Notice / disclosure: JustAnswer is an independent Q&A service not supported by or affiliated with any equipment or software manufacturer. The "9 second" ad does not mean questions are answered in 9 seconds - it means about 400 questions are answered per hour.

DrKlahn :

Thanks for using JustAnswer, the internet's independent site for Q&A consulting. I'm Bruce, nicknamed "DrKlahn," and I'd like to help you with this question.

Customer:

hi

DrKlahn :

Good morning ... Yes, it's entirely possible that the IP4940 uses a different service tool. There are about 12 different service tools for Canon printers and none of them are interchangeable.

DrKlahn :

There is also the additional problem that none of them run under Windows Vista or Windows 7.

DrKlahn :

Canon's service reps apparently use Wndows XP laptops to work on their printers.

DrKlahn :

I have an assortment of service tools here that I can upload if you want to try some different ones. Want to give that a shot?

Customer:

well i have 2 printers ,they did have the same problem,error 5b00,i solved the one ip4840,so with the same service tool tried to fix the second one ip 4940,the printer is not responding

DrKlahn :

The best I can recommend is to cycle the power on the printer, check the connection to the printer using Windows, confirm that the connection is good, then put the printer back into service mode and try some of the other service tools. The printers are fairly selective about what service tool is used and the service tools are also selective about what printers they will work on.

DrKlahn :

Normally I would expect the service tool for the 4840 to work on the 4940, but "normally" is a dangerous and usually unjustified assumption in this business.

Customer:

when entering service mod i see the light on usb hub fix but when i push the main button of the service tool to fix the problem ,the light on the usb hub starts flashing dose it mean something?

DrKlahn :

I'm sure it does, but without the technical manual for the USB hub I wouldn't dare a guess. Can you plug directly into the host PC instead of a hub?

Customer:

yes

DrKlahn :

That would be the first thing to try. If there is even a possibility of a USB issue it should be avoided.

DrKlahn :

I have got the Canon service tools I have on hand uploaded to a third-party site. One moment and I'll get you links to download those.

DrKlahn :

Note: The chat software sometimes destroys links or replaces them with "DANGEROUS URL REMOVED." If you have problems using the link / address supplied below, please let me know - it is done "behind my back" and I am not told when it happens.

Customer:

ok

DrKlahn :

I suggest: Plug directly into the host PC rather than the hub. Cycle power on the printer. Put the printer back into service mode. Then try your current service tool again.

DrKlahn :

I'll be glad to hold while you try this, if the printer is at hand.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

ok i have the new service tools so i will try it

DrKlahn :

Any progress?

DrKlahn :

------------

DrKlahn :

The system indicates that you're offline, so I'll save this session. When you (re)join this session, please enter a message. This triggers an email indicating that you're online. Please allow up to 8 minutes for me to receive the email -- I will return as quickly as possible.

DrKlahn :

(note 01:19 08-Oct-2013 - No chat 30 min; save & wait pending customer joining session)

Customer:

hello again,so i tried the applications only service tool v3200 worked with the printer,but it seems this one is only to test the printer not to fix it,but the printer responded to the functions i tried

DrKlahn :

Sorry to hear that. Yes, the Canon service tools and the printers are picky about communication in the service mode.

DrKlahn :

I'm afraid I've tapped out my store of solutions, but another expert might have an idea where to go from here. Would you like me to release your question back to the available list so that the other experts can look at it?

Customer:

wait i think it worked as i pushed the button "set" in front of main :)

DrKlahn :

I suggest: Cycle the power to see if the printer will hold the new setting, then see if it comes up without the error. If so, see if it will print a test page.

Customer:

thank you ,i tried to print a picture and a cd,it worked,thank you so much,you are a big expert :)

DrKlahn :

It's my pleasure to help, and it would not have been possible if you had not tried everything in the book.

DrKlahn :

Is there anything I've overlooked, or anything that you would like discussed in more detail, or possibly some other question I might be able to help with? Don't hesitate to ask - my time is yours for as long as you need it.

DrKlahn :

I also have instructions for how to save this session to a text file for later reference offline. If that would be useful, please let me know.

Customer:

its ok now i will rate to finish

DrKlahn :

OK. One moment while I unlock the rating panel ...

Customer:

ok

DrKlahn :

Done. Thanks for using JustAnswer again, and we will hope to see you again sometime in the future.

Customer:

ok thank you

DrKlahn, Engineer
Experience: BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.