Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I cannot get my Epson printer #WF-2540 to print. Ive got

I cannot get my Epson printer #WF-2540 to print. I've got new printer ink cartridges in there but it just prints out blank pages. Can you help me?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Epson,

Nathan :

one quick thing to check: try making a photocopy (rather than printing from the comptuer)

Nathan :

If that works normally, then it's a problem with the computer/driver. If that comes out blank too, then it is a printer issue,

Nathan :

specifically, these symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head.

Nathan :

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

Nathan :

To try manually cleaning the print heads:

Open up the printer, and look for the "carriage" that goes back and forth (on metal rails) over the paper while printing.

You'll remove the cartridges, then clean on the bottom of them (focus on the ink port/hole) as well as inside the carriage using qtips and rubbing alcohol.

If you can, remove the carriage/print head (there will be a small lever at the side/rear of it that lifts up to release) and clean the bottom this way as well. Not all models will allow for this, if you can't remove it fold up a piece of paper towel in quarters the long way, saturate the middle with alcohol, slide it under the print head, and pick up on the ends while moving up and down to clean it (think of drying your back with a towel).

Here is a video, detailing the process if you need help:

How to remove the Printhead

When cleaning the port on the print head that the ink flows into from the cartridge, also try using a qtip to "pump" the liquid down into the port and force it through, which will help to dissolve any clogs.

After all of this swab again with a few dry qtips or give a blast of compressed air to dry everything well, then put it all back together. You can now try to print, or run the automated print head cleaning function in the setup menu. You may have to run a few pages through before everything starts flowing properly again.

If none of this helps, then you've got a faulty print head(s) which would need to be replaced.

Customer:

It won't make a photocopy.

Nathan :

Okay, thanks for checking. I assumed that would be the case, as this type of printhead failure/clogging is pretty common.

Nathan :

Please go ahead with the cleaning steps I detailed earlier.

Customer:

I got into maintenance and pressed clean heads. It's telling me to wait.

Nathan :

The process takes awhile, just let it run.

Nathan :

If that doesn't change anything, then move on to the manual cleaning steps.

Customer:

OK I did all you suggested. It still doesn't print!!!

Nathan :

Okay, well thank you for checking.

Nathan :

As I mentioned, if these steps don't work (though you can repeat them, as it sometimes takes several tries if there is a lot of dried ink build up to dissolve),

Nathan :

then it would indicate that the printhead has failed, and would need to be replaced.

Nathan :

Please understand that this is a hardware failure, outside of my control.

Nathan :

Giving me a bad rating won't fix the problem, I've walked you through the detailed steps necessary to attempt to correct the issue, which is the only possible option,

Nathan :

I can advise you on how to proceed from here, if you'd like to continue working with me.

Customer:

OK I see you're typing. Did you get my message that I did everything you suggested but it still won't print!!!!

Nathan :

Yes, I did see that,

Nathan :

and what that means is that the printhead (the part you took out to clean) is faulty.

Nathan :

This is a common failure,

Nathan :

the printhead is what heats up and sprays the ink onto the paper,

Nathan :

it is a consumable item, meaning it wears out over time, and if the machine ever runs out of ink and the printhead is run "dry", it will overheat and cause this type of damage as well.

Nathan :

There is actually one other possibility too; it is either the printhead gone bad, or the logic board which controls the printhead has failed.

Nathan :

The printhead can be replaced,

Nathan :

but unless the printer is less than a year old and still under warranty, it is not going to be practical. The service cost (parts and labor) are going to be $200+, while you can buy a new printer for around $100.

Nathan :

So you're actually better off replacing the entire printer at this point, especially considering the possibility that you could invest in a replacement printhead and still not have a working printer.

Nathan :

I'll be happy to help you find a local repair option if you'd like, or to recommend some replacement printers if you prefer.

Customer:

No, I don't want to continue. I'll change my rating so you'll get the $5 but this is ridiculous. My printer is only 3 months old and I shouldn't be having these problems! Thank you anyway for what you've done but I'm very disappointed with Epson!

Nathan :

Okay,

Nathan :

well I can certainly understand your frustration,

Nathan :

especially if it is only 3 months old,

Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
Hi Joan,
we were cut off when you left your rating for me (thank you for that, by the way)

Luckily, since your system is only 3 months old, which I was unaware of before, this would be covered under the warranty.

Just call them up at 562\276\4382 and they'll direct you to the closest service center, or they may just ship you a replacement printer.

Best of luck to you,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks Nathan and God bless you!! :)