Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

printer pixma mp830 wont print black copies all new cannon

printer pixma mp830 won't print black copies all new cannon cartrodges help?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the canon,

Nathan :

Are you having this issue only when printing?

Nathan :

If you try to make a photocopy, does it print?

Nathan :

Will it print color, but just not black?

Customer:

new printer cannon not refursbished added today, will print a color pdf file no BLACK printing at all

Nathan :

Does it go through all the motions of printing, but just spits out a blank page?

Customer:

cartridges that is

Customer:

yes

Nathan :

Can you please try a photocopy

Customer:

of what?

Customer:

change the menu u mean?

Customer:

not sr what u mean?

Nathan :

I mean instead of trying to print from the computer

Nathan :

make a photocopy. Put a piece of paper on the glass or in the top feeder, and use the COPY function.

Nathan :

This will help us determine if this is a problem with the computer/driver, or if it is a hardware issue with the printer.

Nathan :

It is most likely a printer failure, but we need to be sure before proceeding.

Customer:

ok hold on

Customer:

copy from GLASS BANK

Customer:

blank

Customer:

now what?

Nathan :

Okay, thanks for checking,

Nathan :

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head.

Customer:

did maint on them todayno errors

Nathan :

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning. This may also be called "nozzle clean".

Nathan :

To try manually cleaning the print heads:

Open up the printer, and look for the "carriage" that goes back and forth (on metal rails) over the paper while printing.

You'll remove the cartridges, then clean on the bottom of them (focus on the ink port/hole) as well as inside the carriage using qtips and rubbing alcohol.

If you can, remove the carriage/print head (there will be a small lever at the side/rear of it that lifts up to release) and clean the bottom this way as well.

Customer:

i did both but will do again

Nathan :

When cleaning the port on the print head that the ink flows into from the cartridge, also try using a qtip to "pump" the liquid down into the port and force it through, which will help to dissolve any clogs.

After all of this swab again with a few dry qtips or give a blast of compressed air to dry everything well, then put it all back together. You can now try to print, or run the automated print head cleaning function in the setup menu. You may have to run a few pages through before everything starts flowing properly again.

If none of this helps, then you've got a faulty print head(s) which would need to be replaced.

Nathan :

You took the printhead out and physically cleaned it already? Or you did the one from the maintenance menu?

Customer:

these cart are all brand new

Customer:

no to sec question

Customer:

nozzle heads prints a goodpage

Nathan :

The cartridges have nothing to do with this,

Customer:

nozzle heads printed a good page

Nathan :

They printed black?

Nathan :

Or they printed color?

Customer:

color

Nathan :

Ok, but no black, right?

Nathan :

There are 2 parts to the printehead, black, and color. Your color one is clearly fine, and the black one is clogged, or damaged.

Nathan :

That is why I need for you to follow the steps I mentioned to take it out and clean it.

Customer:

yes the botXXXXX XXXXXne reads BK but looks gray

Customer:

cleaning done

Nathan :

Well gray will often be printed as a combination of color inks

Nathan :

not actually black ink

Customer:

now what?

Nathan :

You took it out and cleaned it with the alcohol and qtips as I suggested?

Nathan :

Sorry I'm not quite clear if you meant that you did that, or just that you did the cleaning step from the maintenance menu.

Customer:

cleaned with tips

Nathan :

Did you use the alcohol?

Customer:

yes

Nathan :

Okay, then try the nozzle check again, to flush the alcohol out of the system.

Nathan :

Then, you can try a normal print job again.

Nathan :

If it still doesn't work at that point, then you need to replace the printhead, as it is damaged or worn out.

Customer:

trying now

Nathan :

Ok

Customer:

where is the printhead located on this printer?

Nathan :

The printhead is the "carriage". That is the part that moves back and forth over the paper when printing.

Nathan :

Did you not actually clean the printhead?

Nathan :

It looks like this:

Full Size Image

Customer:

okay is a ordered part or does staples carry it do you know?

Nathan :

Staples would not carry it,

Nathan :

it's more of a specialty item,

Customer:

why then is it printing color pdf files and nothing else?

Nathan :

There are components of the printhead that print black, and that print color.

Nathan :

There is likely a build up of black ink clogging the printhead.

Customer:

how do you remove that part?

Nathan :

There is also a possibility that the logicboard which controls the printhead (and the black print functions) is faulty.

Nathan :

However, if it comes to the point that you're needing to replace the printhead, you'd honestly be better off buying a new printer.

Nathan :

You'll spend $80 on a printhead, and there is still a risk that another part is the problem (the control board)

Nathan :

Considering you can buy a whole new printer, with updated features, and a fresh warranty, for about the same price,

Nathan :

it's just not worth the investment for a 7 year old printer

Customer:

I see that part is 80$ okay not muck else to do at this point, new cart 45$ today call 28$ and still no black copies

Customer:

thanks for yor help

Nathan :

You're welcome,

Nathan :

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, though it won't hurt to try the cleaning again, sometimes it takes a bit to get all the ink out

Nathan :

If you'd like, I'll be happy to recommend a replacement for you,

Customer:

okay thank u again

Nathan :

You're very welcome.

Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.