Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

I already asked a question concerning my Oki C5500 printer,

I already asked a question concerning my Oki C5500 printer, but had to update my credit card and password XXXXX I have done that but cannot get back to my question pages. Please help me get back to the Oki printer pages asked for help on a "paper jam" question. Thank you
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.

I cant find any questions for you other than 2 on a saab car.

Probably the question never really got saved or posted.

could you just give me the details here and I will see if I can answer it for you

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have an Oki C5500 laser jet color printer that has been very good up until the present time. I was printing when all of a sudden my printer stopped and a "paper jam" message came up. My husband, my two tech savvy brothers in law and I took the printer apart. We

1 opened the front of the printer

2 raised the printer top

3 removed all of the toner cartridges and cleaned their exteiors

4 removed the paper tray

5 cleaned the rollers and pulled out all of the paper that was stuck there

6 looked for any smaller paper snippets that may have been caught (none were caught)

7 opened the back of the printer

8 replaced all the toner cartridges

9 went to the computer page that made suggestions for correcting the problem and followed those directions

Nothing helped. It seems that this would be a simple matter to correct but we have not been successful. We are turning to you for assistance. Please help me - please, please,please!!!

does it try to pick up the paper and fail ? or does the paper go in a bit and stop ? or does it just sit there with the error and never get through its post routine to start the printer ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

If you will please wait a minute, I will put in some paper, select something on my computer to print, press the "Print" button and see exactly what it does, OK?

sure thing. and if it doesn't come up with the error as soon as you turn it on that would eliminate the third choice
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry I couldn't find this page to answer you, so sent an answer on another page. I connected my printer and laptop computer with the USB cord, checked the paper tray and there was paper in it, turned on the printer and pulled up a document on my computer, pressed the "Print" button and looked at the printer message box on the printer.

The top line read "OPEN FRONT COVER" and the second line read,

"380: PAPER JAM'

I then opened the Front Cover, but nothing has happened besides the printer warming up again. Hope this helpes.

If the printer is trying to pick up a sheet of paper and slips off that will cause that error. Its not so much a paper "jam" as that it just couldn't get the paper into the printer.

that is usually a worn out pickup roller. You can replace them on some printers. I have also had good results just roughing them up a little bit with some course sandpaper or using a razor blade to make very very fine lines on the roller. You don't want to damage the rubber. just make very shallow lines to give it some tread to be able to grip the paper.

You also want to check that the paper is not stuck together from humidity try using paper from a new package and fan it out before putting it in the printer and make sure that it is seated in the tray correctly. Some printers as they get older will be able to pick up paper more easily when the tray is more full or more empty you can experiment a little with how many sheets you put in the tray.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll open a new ream of paper frst, fan it out and put it into the printer and try to print again. If that doesn't worki, I think I'll use the very fine sandpaper next. After I've tried both steps if the printer doesn't work, I'll let you know. If it does work, I'll also let you know so we can finish our work here and I can rate to finish and pay you. Please wait a couple of minutes while I try one or both of the above.

whenever you are ready I will be here or I will answer as soon as I get online.
Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
I was just following up on our work. Thank you very much for the rating. If you have further issues with this same problem you can post in the original problem and i will give you more help for free. If you would like to go to this page and add it to your favorates you can then use it to send me a question directly

http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-robmark/